Jackson

2022, Western TX, (July)

     During this time, wouldn't you think to yourself that because the world is becoming a dangerous place to exist everyone would be at their most conscious level? Jackson has always been a little unconscious, but never like this. It is almost like he flipped a switch, as his mother would say. He has never once brought up the recurring gory and disturbing news from Russia, even when he was sitting right in front of it.

     In western-Texas, the air had a cold touch to it, the sun did appear, but only until everyone awoke. With little to no one around, even before the world-crisis, Jackson felt lonely. His sister had passed well before he turned seven. He only got to see her for one year, that was when his family learned she had severe muscular dystrophy, which, in her case, had gotten worse everyday. It started out as muscle aches and turned into severe paralyzation. When Jackson lost his big sister, Sara, he was mildly sad, but not depressed and in agony every hour of everyday, like his mother felt when Sara passed. Jackson's mother was a businesswoman and knew she had to act fast about the situation.

     His mother, Evelynn, booked a flight to New Bedford, Massachusetts because her favorite talk show said that Massachusetts is not getting any trouble with bombs at all, and as the fool she is, she gave in. Jackson knew it was not right because of what he had seen from videos on his tablet in Massachusetts, but he did not say a word. Jackson watched his mom pack up clothes, food, blankets and an old picture of our family when we were at our finest moment.