Ember

Kate quickly threw some things together and stuffed everything in a duffel bag for Sophie and Ember. Ember put on a careless face for her four year old sister Sophie, and knew since she was nineteen, she knew that she would be capable of being there for her sister. Ember's birthday was coming up soon and so was Sophie's. Ember was going to be twenty. Sophie was not her full sister, but half sister. They had different fathers, but the same mother.

     The sound of the car running flooded Sophie's ears as she sat in her pink and black car seat. Ember got in the front seat with her mom driving and Ember knew where they had to go. There was a famous refuge in New Bedford that not a lot of people knew about. Her mother turned on the radio for Sophie and they drove off in the deadly morning sun.

"Turn left, no mom! This way."

     Ember had no patience when it came to giving directions, and her mother was bad at comprehending them. Ember turned off the radio and was stuck with listening to people scream, demand and get stabbed if they did not follow directions. As Kate swerved onto the other road, Ember put a blindfold on Sophie. A little girl should not be exposed to this kind of violence, not now, not ever. There were buildings on fire, people dying and roads that were blocked.

"Mom!? You should have gone the other way!"

"Ember, honey. Relax! This is a safer way and this is the way I go to work everyday. I can't risk that happening to us."

     Kate pointed to the toll in the middle of the street where people were trying to get through. It looked like the guy working there was just straight up awful or he had a reason to do what he was doing. If the citizens did not follow instructions, he would slash their tires or slash them. Ember did not have a reaction to it and Sophie did not even have to look at it.

"Okay mom."