Eleanor

I     t's been a rough couple of days, sitting, waiting for food to come, but then shortly realizing that if you want food, you are going to have to get it yourself. I was never good at foraging. I took a dart from Jackson's dart set he stole and I aimed for the red dot in the middle. Aim is important and I am too, that is what Evelynn said to me the first day we arrived at the little hilltop on our way to South Dakota. She gave me her pocket knife and told me to keep it a secret from Ember because she'll go ballistic and I can't show Jackson, nor talk about it, because he will tell Mateo, and Mateo will tell Ember.

     I took some bark off of a tree next to the dart board and aimed there. It's easier to focus when you have less distractions, so just a plain tree is fine to practice aiming with. I let out a small 'hiyah when I threw the knife, which attracted something near me. An animal? Skunk? It sure smelled. No groans or walking sounds so it mustn't be an infected one, or so I thought. It came up right behind me and opened its mouth, which was disgusting.

     I jumped as I jabbed the knife in its head so many times that it fell. I checked myself for scars, then fell to the floor myself. I didn't make a peep. No one came for me, just like what always happens. I do not get tucked in by Evelynn anymore like at the shelter, or when we would stop on the side of a road to get some shut eye on the way here. I miss that. But I feel broken, not because of that. I miss my father, but I can not cry. Ember does not cry. Jackon does not cry.

     But then I remind myself, they have not lost anyone yet. Ember still had her mom and little sister, which I wish I had. Mateo had, well no one, but it's not like he recently lost someone, right? Jackson stayed quiet when he wasn't with Mateo and that drove me insane. I have to be tough. I have to be stronger than this.