Chapter - 9

I was about to take the risk for reflecting upon those voices again but Max held onto my shoulder and made me look at him.

"Jungkook, what happened?" Max's anxious voice reinstated me back to him. "I was calling you out, for so long, you were not responding at all. Are you okay?" he asked me sincerely,

"Max, you told me that I never met the twins in my childhood. But is it possible that I did but forgot about it due to my amnesia?" I asked him, directly coming, to the point.

Yes, I had amnesia, that too at the age of Six - I did not remember how I got it neither had any memory of my Post Trauma Amnesia phase. I only remembered the feeling of emptiness when other children would share their childhood stories. It's true that as we grow up, we forget our childhood a little, but having less memory and having no memory is as different as water and fire. Mom told me that I fell off the stairs and cracked my skull, followed by a pool of blood. After the surgery, I got amnesia, and the aftermath was worse.

As a child, my case was more serious, and they had to use hypnosis for my treatment. I started to believe that I forgot them for good, that maybe they were not so important, and pretended that I never had amnesia and like any other person, with time I forgot about my childhood memories- just a little more than them.

"Did you remember something?" Max asked, he sounded worried.

"I . . . No, I was just curious," I lied to Max because I didn't want to worry him. I hadn't told him yet about my nightmares. If I did, it would have freaked him out.

"Well, I don't think so. At least not in front of me," Max said in a hurry, "Jungkook are you fine, you are sweating?"

"Ya, I am fine. Maybe I am fatigued by lack of rest" I said and shrugged impassively,

"Then, you should rest. We can continue this later," Max suggested, but I hastily declined him.

"No, I will be fine. I promise, please," I pleaded Max innocently,

He sighed in defeat and let me rest my head on his lap again.

"Uncle Max, is it all worth it? Leaving your family behind, risking your lives like this for someone else" I asked him once I was sure I was not feeling nauseous anymore,

"You can't even, imagine the feeling of helping someone; it's a bliss, especially if that person is close to you." Max said, his eyes automatically get closed, and a smile appeared on his face. "Some people call doctors as real-life heroes because we save lives, but you know the real heroes are these guys. Without a trace of fear, they surrender their life to save people who they don't even know personally, and also don't take credit for it," his eyes shone with content,

"I feel good for even helping them indirectly as I know I save only a few lives in a day or two, but they save thousands of lives at a time," he sounded proud as praises his and their jobs, which left me thinking did I made a right choice?

As I looked at his face, I realize how pleased he was feeling for all he did in past years to help the agency and their agents. Something inside me awakened as it nagged to come out and let me feel it. I realized that I felt envy of his enlightenment and wanted a taste of it, even if it lasted for some time.

Just then I heard a sound engine dying and stood up abruptly.

"Ah, it must be Taehyung," Max said and he too stood up, "He said, he was coming and had something to talk about,"

I went to window to confirm it and did found Taehyung getting off from his car. I quickly dashed out of the room and ran downstairs to meet Taehyung at the main gate. I opened the gate and found Taehyung standing with his hand halfway on ringing the bell.