Chapter 13

Marcy's POV:

The rest of the was just me and my thoughts. Let's not forget the pain. Everything hurt. My dad showed up. He was crying. He actually cared for me. After that I was taken somewhere but I can't remember where it was. I probably fell asleep.

The next afternoon:

Sasha came to my room.

She just kept staring at me.

"Where's Anne?"

"She went to go get your Dad. He's been here this whole time. Thirty-six hours. Waiting for you."

"Thirty-six hours?"

"You had surgery."

"Surgery?"

"They had to repair your bones."

"Okay."

"You'll have scars."

"Okay. I can live with that. My whole body is already filled with scars." I said. Sasha just shook her head.

"You were awake for a little while after the surgery."

"You were in pain. They gave you something. Then you were out again."

"I don't remember."

"The doctor said you probably wouldn't."

"Did I say anything?"

"You just cried. You asked for your dad. He wouldn't leave you."

That made me smile. I didn't know he would be there. Since he has work and never shows up.

"What about my mom?" I asked, feeling a little nervous of what Sasha might say.

"The nurse said that she didn't answer the phone. I'm sorry, Marce."

"Oh." I said. I felt sad but at the same time I knew that she wouldn't care.

"I love you," she whispered. "Remember that."

I looked away as she said that. I felt my face heat up and turn red. It was nice that she said that. I liked it. But I knew she only meant as friends. She would never feel that way for someone like me. A nerd.

"I-I l-love you too." I said, feeling a bit disappointed. I knew she meant as friends, but I didn't.

I thought she was going to cry again. But she didn't. Well, there were tears, but no real crying. She handed me a glass of water and I drank a little bit from a straw. "Your legs," she said. "The car ran over your legs."

"It wasn't the driver's fault," I said.

She nodded. "You had a very, very fine surgeon. All the breaks are below the knees. God-" She stopped. "They though you might loose your legs-" She stopped and wiped away the tears away from her face.

We just looked at each other. "You sound tired," She said.

"Yeah."

"I'm glad you woke up."

"Yeah, I woke up. But it hurts less when I sleep."

"You saved my life, Marce."

"Sasha's hero. Just what I always wanted to be." I joked.

"Don't do that, Marcy. Don't make fun. Don't be joking. You almost got yourself killed."

"I didn't do it on purpose."

She started crying. Sasha and her tears. Sasha and her tears. "You pushed me. You pushed me and you saved my life."

"Looks like I pushed you and beat the crap out of your face."

"I'll get used to it," she said.

Sasha's POV:

"It was that damned bird," I said. "We can blame it all on the bird. The whole thing."

"I'm done with birds."

"No you're not." She said

I started crying again.

"Knock it off," she said.

"Anne's been crying, and now you're crying—and even my dad looks like he wants to cry. Rules. I have rules. No crying."

"Okay," I said. "No more crying. I won't cry."

"Tears make me really tired." She said.

I laughed. And then I got really serious. "You took a dive like you were in a swimming pool."

Marcy's POV:

"We don't have to talk about this." I said. Trying not to remember everything that happened.

She just kept talking. "You dove at me, like, I don't know, like some kind of football player diving at the guy with the ball, and you pushed me out of the way. It all happened so fast and yet, you just, I don't know, you just knew what to do. Only you could have gotten yourself killed." I watched the tears falling from her face. "And all because I'm an idiot, standing in the middle of the road trying to save a stupid bird."

"You're breaking the no-crying rule again," I said. "And birds aren't stupid."

"I almost got you killed."

"You didn't do anything. You were just doing what was right."

"I hate birds ."

"I like birds," I said.

"I hate them. You saved my life."

"I told you. I didn't do it on purpose."

That made everybody laugh. God, I was tired. And it hurt so much and I remember Sasha squeezing my hand and saying over and over,
"I'm sorry I'm sorry Marcy forgive me forgive me."

I guess the aftereffects of the surgery and the morphine made me feel a little high.

I remember humming something. I know that Anne and Sasha and my dad were still in the room, but I couldn't stay awake.

I remember Sasha squeezing my hand. And I remember thinking 'forgive you? For what, Sasha? What is there to forgive? I should be the one asking for forgiveness.'

I don't know why, but there was rain in my dreams. Sasha and I were there. The bird. The car. It wouldn't stop.

And I was Afraid.

Authors Note:
Hello everyone! I finished the chapter. Hope yall like it. I really appreciate everyone. Happy new year to everyone!! Take care and be safe.