Chapter 21

Marcy's POV:

"So, mom, dad, Mr. Wu, I was wondering if Marcy and I could excuse ourselves from the table and go out to the park across the street?"

I look up across the table when I heard my name being said. Sasha smiling her brilliant, parent-convincing smile. No one told me she was going to do this. This was not planned. 

"Sure, kid." dad says, and Mr. Waybright nods.

"Of course." says Mrs. Waybright. 

What is that girl up to? 

"Great. Thanks." Sasha gets up from her seat and motions for me to do the same. I don't know why I do, but I do it. I get up from my seat and walk towards the front door with her.

As soon as we're out of the house, I ask her what's going on.

"You'll see. C'mon." she says. That's Sasha. Always vague and mysterious.

"But where are we going? I didn't even know there was a park here." I whine.

"I want to show you something I found a few weeks after you came back to school. After the accident. Now stop complaining and follow me."

I finally give in and give up trying to figure out where we're going and oblige. The park is practically empty, except a few toddlers and their parents playing in the playground area of the park.

After about ten minutes of walking, we come to a kind of hidden place, where there's a bench. A bench. I came all this way to admire a bench in the park? Someone is definitely going to have some explaining to do.

"Remember when you gave me your sketches?" Sasha says.

"Yeah, I remember"

"Yeah, I know we never talked about them and I know you feel bad about not talking about it. I really liked them." she says.

"Good." I reply.

"Which is why I brought you here." she finishes.

I'm confused. What does this have to do with anything? Clearly, it shows on my face that I don't understand, because she continues talking.

"Why don't we take a seat? This might be easier to handle for you if your sitting down." she says.

Easier to handle? What's that supposed to mean? Why are we here?

So I do. I sit down, and so does she.

She turns to look at me, straight in the eye. "Listen, Marce. We're best friends, right?" I nod. "And we tell each other everything." I half nod. "I know you know this, and I know you don't want me to tell you, but I like you. It's no secret—it's never been—and I know how you feel about that, but it's true. I like you, and I want us to be together—a real couple. I know how you feel about that, and it's okay if you don't want that for us, but I need you to know it. And no matter what, I'll always be your friend." Her smile is so genuine and sincere, it kind of takes my breath away.

I don't know what to say. No, I do know what to say, I just don't know how to say it. After the accident I've been feeling these feelings more, I can't keep running away. I won't.

"I...I feel the same way too, Sash. I—I'm not really good with feelings, and I don't always know what to say or how to say it, but... I think I want to try. I think I'm ready to finally start accepting myself for who I really am, and start thinking about what I actually want, and, right now, I want you." I don't think my voice has ever quivered so much. Why is my voice quivering so much?

"That's great, Marce. I'm so proud of you for that. And don't worry, I'm not going anywhere anytime soon." she smiles. And then, we're both smiling, and slowly, that smiling turns into laughing. We're both laughing until, suddenly, we're not laughing anymore, but rather leaning towards each other. I'm not sure who it was who closed the space between us, but as soon as her lips touch mine, I know this is where I belong, and I know that, no matter what, Sasha and I will always be there for each other, always have each other's backs, always have a friend. Always and forever.

When we pull away from each other, we just kind of stay there, dumbfounded, smiling at each other. And, oh Lord, she is so beautiful. 

Before I can think twice about it, I say it. I tell her I love her. "I love you."

But before I can apologize, explain how I don't know what I was thinking, she smiles that dazzling smile of her, and suddenly, all my panic just flutters away. "I love you too." she says, and I don't think I've ever smiled so wide. My cheeks are literally starting to hurt.

"Well," Sasha says, jabbing me out of my thoughts, "as much as I've loved this little adventure, unless we want our parents to call the police and report us missing, I think we better get back to your house."

I'm still too happy to speak, so I just nod and smile at her. Her. Sasha. My Sasha. My beautiful girlfriend.

She stands and gives me a hand to help pull me up, but when she tries to take it back, I hold on tighter, letting her know she's stuck with me.

She turns to look at our hands, fingers intertwined, and then back up at me. "Are you sure? I mean, we don't have to tell our parents. Not if you're not ready." she seems genuinely concerned about this, and I love her even more for that. "No, I want them to know. I want the whole damn world to know about my brave, beautiful girlfriend." I say, realizing I never actually asked her about that. "Unless you don't want to use that term, which is totally fine too. I mean, we don't have to if you don't want to—" I start to say, but she cuts me off. "I didn't think we needed clarification, but yes, I would love to be your girlfriend." Again, I can't help but smile, and I keep on smiling all the way to my house.

......

Once our parents see us holding hands, they start showing us in hugs and kisses and congratulations, but I feel too happy to be embarrassed or self-conscious right now, especially by my dad, who are one of the reasons why I found the courage to finally admit my feelings to Sasha, and most importantly, to myself.

......

All the night, our parents keep talking about how they knew we would end up together, and as Sasha and I walk behind them, still holding hands, we seem to be leaning in towards each other.

"So," I say, before I lose all my confidence. "I want to take you out, on a date, if you'll accept." I say, not really making eye contact.

She stops walking, which stops us both, and turns to me. Full-on eye contact. "As long as it's with you, I'll accept anything." she says.

"Good." I say, smiling.

And this time, when we continue walking, I rests my head on her  shoulder, and she ready hers on mine. 

Author's note:

I guess this is the end. I really enjoyed writing this story. It was kinda what happened to me. I was in this accident one time with one my friend. I guess I kinda like them but haven't confessed. Anyways, I really appreciate everyone that read this story. I hope I can get more readers. I hope I decide to write another story. Thank you to everyone who read this till the end.