021. winged surprise [malleus]

PE was hardly one of your favorite classes; especially on exam day when you had to try your hardest to get a good grade. Who even makes up these stupid exercises to get evaluated on? You sighed and let out an annoyed groan when you glanced to your side and found that the water bottle you had brought with you was already empty. You didn't even remember that you had finished it.

Your head hurt from the exhaustion and your breath was ragged and you weren't even halfway through the test.

"You seem out of breath", a certain dragon fae noticed as the two of you walked over to the next area of the sports field where each student had to do as many push-ups as possible in a minute, "I did not think this exercise could be so taxing to someone." He laid a finger to his chin, contemplating your current state. "Says the guy with the physical advantages in the 'physical advantage' class", you let out a bitter laugh and could have punched Vargas when you heard him call out to the two of you to hurry up already.

Once the exam was over, the students packed up their things and left the coliseum. You were still sitting on the bench, letting the wind blow past you in an attempt to cool yourself. Your heart was beating rapidly and your legs were shaking from straining your muscles during the exercise. "Here. I don't need it, you can have it", you opened your eyes to see Malleus standing in front of you, handing you his own water bottle. You mumbled a barely audible 'thank you', before almost downing the whole thing in one go. Malleus sat down beside you, taking your shaking hand into his and rubbing it gently. "Do you feel better now? Can we head back to the dorm?", he asked softly and wrapped an arm around you which you pushed off immediately, checking your surroundings for any prying eyes. For a prince, who would be most affected if someone were to find out about your secret romance before announcing it officially with the approval of Briar Valley's royal court, Malleus was surprisingly careless. His desire for your affection sometimes won over his caution when it came to hiding your relationship.

"Just give me a minute", you mumbled, closing your eyes again and feeling as if you could pass out right there on the bench. Instead, you could feel yourself being lifted by Malleus; finding yourself in his arms before you could feel a shadow blocking the sun from your face. You opened your eyes again and your gaze fell onto two majestic dragon wings attached to Malleus's back. Your fingers reached for them but Malleus swatted your hand away. "You're going to fall if you turn like that", he said and then smiled down at you, "you can touch them once we're back at the dorm." You nodded, marveling at the way the scales would shine in green, purple and black colors depending on how the light hit his wings.

"You've never shown these to me before", you remarked with a smile on your face, closing your eyes and leaning your cheek against Malleus's chest as you could feel him lifting off the ground and the air around you getting a little cooler, much like you had wanted, "they're beautiful." "I'm glad you think so, my love", he held you safely in his embrace, grateful that you had trusted him this much. "So what, I'm just getting a whole flight back to the dorm?", you asked and chuckled. Malleus affirmed and you enjoyed the rest of the flight in silence; sometimes gazing at the scenery below. But most of the time you were focusing on the wind and the feeling of flying as well as the sound of Malleus's heartbeat you could hear with how close you were.

Once you had arrived at Diasomnia, Malleus had put you down on the bed gently and let you catch your breath before the two of you took a shower to wash off the reminders of Vargas's hellish PE exam. Malleus could feel you were still exhausted by the way you were leaning against him with your eyes closed the entire time, sitting down at every possible opportunity. "Are you sure you'll be okay?", he asked and you could hear a little worry in his voice. "It's sports. It's annoying and exhausting but nothing that will kill me, sunshine", you nuzzled his neck and he enjoyed the sensation with a satisfied smile, closing his eyes as well.

When you had left the bathroom, Malleus opened his wardrobe and tossed you a simple black shirt of his. You sat down on the bed and put it on as well as the spare pants you had packed for PE. Malleus looked at you for a moment, noticing once again how adorable you looked wearing his shirt. "It suits you", he smiled and reached into the wardrobe again to pull out a t-shirt for himself as well. "Well then, maybe I should keep it", you teased and Malleus smirked at you as if he was challenging you. "Did no one teach you not to steal from a dragon?", he joked and closed the wardrobe, sitting down beside you, "it's just a jest. You can have it, if you want."

He grabbed the green shirt he had gotten for himself and was about to put it on when you stopped him. "You promised to show me your wings again", you reminded him and he chuckled. "You're right, I did say that", he spoke softly and manifested his dragon wings, accidentally knocking the lamp off the nightstand in the process. You picked it up and put it back to where it stood before you focused on Malleus's wings. You knew he could summon them even while he was wearing clothes but to see how they connected to the soft skin of his back was different. There were small scales surrounding the base and you touched them carefully, eventually running your fingertips along his wing. Malleus had closed his eyes and his breathing slowed. His wings were quite sensitive, yet he found your touch relaxing and enjoyable. You ran your fingers over one particular spot on his wing and he started flapping it uncontrollably.

"My apologies if I startled you", he kissed your forehead gently, "I'm merely a little ticklish." You smirked and started tickling that area of his wing, causing that motion again and witnessing Malleus laughing desperately because of your teasing. He retracted his wings almost immediately. "Hey!", you pouted and ran a finger over the skin of his back where his wings had been just a second ago. "You brought this upon yourself", he smirked at you and put on his clothes. You raised an eyebrow, amused at seeing Malleus in a GaoGao Dragon-kun shirt. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, you thought.

As soon as Malleus was dressed for bed, he pulled you into his arms and covered the two of you with the blanket. His legs were entangled with yours and you buried your face in his shirt. He held you close, running his fingertips up and down your back. Malleus radiated a comforting warmth and being snuggled up to him like this never failed to make any situation seem cozy. "I love you so much", he whispered and kissed your lips slowly, catching up on the affection he had to miss out on during the lessons. "I love you too", you reminded him and wrapped your arm around him, listening to his heartbeat once more. The two of you fell asleep not long after, holding each other tightly.