Chapter two

"H-hello Sir," she greets me shyly, extending her hand out to me.

I reach out and grab her hand, shaking it slowly while scanning her cute litttle face. "Hi, sweetheart. It's nice to finally meet you in person."

"Yeah," she murmurs back, her sparkling chocolate colored eyes flickering behind me to Liam. "I'm sorry, I thought you had a wife?" Arabella raises her eyebrow in confusion.

I nod, trying to hold back a laugh that was scratching its way up my throat. Before I can say anything, though, Liam jumps to his feet. "I'm your Uncle Liam! Not your second dad, or anything. Ashley couldn't make it."

"Oh," she simply replies in a large amount of discomfort. I breathe out, placing my hand firmly on Liam's shoulder. I didn't want her to feel uncomfortable at all, so I blame it on the situation instead in the back of my mind.

"We typically require both parents to be present, but since Ashley didn't sign as a legal guardian yet, or chooses not do, we'll have to further do so with Mr. Styles, since he has proven he is capable of doing so," Ms. Jacob announces, a smile still plastered on her middle-aged face. "Go ahead."

I bring the small group out of tension after what seems like forever, by breaking the silence. "Let's see them papers."

Liam chuckles, rolling his eyes at my impudent grammar in the speaking formative. "You're a something else, Styles."

"Thank you," I simply respond in sarcasm,sticking my nose in the air briefly as he minds his own business by making his way towards a waiting chair. Ms. Jacobs hands me the adoption forms once again, but this time a more official copy, which leads me to grin like a mad-man. I check off a few things with the black inked pen, hesitation filling me as I read the last words. "S-siblings?" I sputter, in udder bewilderment. "She would have to live with my sister if I died? Isn't that what Ashley can handle?"

"Yes," Ms.Jacobs says, a small pause escaping from the sentence. "You see, Mr. Styles, since Most wives lead into depression after such things, we are afraid that she may..." I read her facial expression, as if she were trying to say something. "Turn to drugs and alcohol or cause endangerment. Since Ashley is not on the forms, Arabella would go to Gemma Styles if there is an issue, is that correct?"

That made me wonder. Ashley wasn't like that...was she? Would she do that if I died? She's here for our daughter, I know it. But what frightens me is the fact that Ashley won't be here long enough to even last me before I die. For crying out loud, she didn't even sign the flipping papers! I could never trust her with Arabella.

I clear my throat in discomfort once again, nodding in agreement with Ms.Jacobs.

I hand her back the documents and such, as she enters them into a nearby desktop computer and a filing cabinets. The reports take nearly a half hour to schedule in, but by the time is done, I'm tired, excited, yet hungry.I was actually going through with having a daughter only one year into our staggering marriage...

"Harry?" Liam questions,snapping me out of my pathetic thoughts and back into reality. "We're going to get a quick bite and head home, yeah?"

"O-okay," I stammer, lifting myself off of the padded chair I didn't even realize I was placed on firmly. My eyes meet Arabelle's, a weak smile pressed on her lips. "Let's go darling."

I place my hand on the small of her back, thanking Ms.Jacobs with a quick goodbye. We return to the car, with my daughter joining us by being placed in the front seat, as we force Liam to the back like a child.

"Where do you want to eat?" I ask her, sliding all of the papers into a small compartment in the vehicle. She shrugs her shoulder, giving me a tense feeling to rise inside of me. "Would you prefer somewhere to dine in? There's a little diner across the way called Jack's, it's a locals favorite." She nods her head, as I slide on my seatbelt, and pull out of the tiny parking space.