Chapter Eleven

I tugged my coat on, glancing over my shoulder at the young girl sitting on the couch. "I'm gonna run to the store. Do you need anything?"

Arabella sat for a moment, her pretty eyes glazing over in thought. "No, I'm good...Thanks."

Without realizing it, I smile. She was just so sweet without even trying... or doing anything. God, how's that even possible? "Kay, I'll be back soon."

"Bye, Daddy."

She said it so casually, as if she wasn't even thinking when she did it. Maybe she wasn't... and maybe she meant it to be that way. "What did you just call me?" I stutter, my stomach tying into a bunch of uncomfortable knots.

Daddy. She just called you daddy.

"Huh?" Arabella replies, lifting her gaze away from the television sitting in front of her to me. I awkwardly rock back on the balls of my feet, shaking my head and mumbling a quiet nothing. "Okay. Be careful. Don't run over any pedestrians."

I laugh. "I won't, baby girl." The name just slipped out. I didn't mean to call her it, but in that exact second, it just seemed right.

Everything with Arabella felt right...

After I told her about Ashely being gone for two weeks, there was a sort of connection between us.

The way her arms lingered around my neck and my arms tangled around her waist when she hugged me. It just seemed...perfect.

"If you want something to eat, there's leftover spaghetti in the fridge from lunch if you're hungry," I mumbled, running a hand through my hair. "I'll see you in about a half hour."

She doesn't bother to turn to me before muttering another thanks as I awkwardly bite the inside of my cheek, pulling on the doorknob.

The way my vehicle feels is so foreign ever since the last time I drove it. It's been days, maybe even weeks since I drove my car due to my jobs inactivity since Zayn agreed to check in the Publishing office while I was occupied with everything else. I only left the house to sometimes go on trips to the store for necessities or for food. Which hasn't really been needed lately due to almost the endless supply of things at our house that was only ever occupied really by Arabella and I.

I adjust my hands on the steering wheel after buckling myself up, and starting the ignition. My destination is the liquor store, where I'll bury my sorrows in alcoholic beverages.

Yes, I know it's irresponsible for me to do this while I'm in charge of Arabella, but it's not like I'm not gonna get totally shit faced or anything. I just need a little wine to loosen up a bit and forget all this shit going on with Ashley.

The bright neon lights of the Town and Country Liquor Store blinked bright in my face as I pulled up to the front. The parking lot was, surprisingly, vacant. I jogged quickly into the store and selected a few random items. A few bottles of red wine and a case of corona beer, piss flavored liquid as Niall calls it. I paid the man at the front quickly and ran back outside.

When I pull up to the driveway, only Arabella's bedroom light is on, all of the other ones making the place look like a worshipping place for Satan from how dark they were.

"I'm home!" I yell once I enter the front door, sliding off my boots and coat almost immediately, and hurrying to my resort.

I relax on the couch, cracking open a bottle of red cherry wine, and pouring it into the tall and clear wine glass, adding my effect of turning on the television and laying back.

This is exactly what I need right now. I take a large gulp of the drink, enjoying the soft burn it left as it slid down my throat. It has been so long since I've drank... I forgot how weightless it makes you feel. I literally feel like I'm floating on a cloud...