Chapter 20: The Dam Bursts

"What?" You ask from behind the door. You know this isn't a conversation to have in the hallway, but you just don't want to let her in.

"Please. I don't want us to cut each other out anymore. I do want us to be a family again." You feel a tug in your heart that you automatically want to shrink back from, you step back, saying nothing, it looks like you're about to close the door but you return to your seat in the shower, leaving the door ajar. You see her hesitate slightly in the doorway before joining you in the bathroom, closing the door behind her.

It seems like ages before either of you talk. You don't even look at her. She sighs a few times before she begins.

"You probably think I don't know what was said on your 18th birthday. I do. And I just wanted to say..." She trails off, taking a shaky breath, "I'm sorry I failed you." She looks like she's trying to suppress the flood of tears that overtakes her and your heart breaks a little bit.

"Why wait so long to say it?" No running, but no mercy. You still felt deeply wronged by the only family you had left.

"It took me a while to understand, and by that point I figured you didn't want either of us to come after you." True as it is, you still find yourself rolling your eyes,

"How could you not see it? It wasn't like I was a sporty kid. Bruises weren't the norm for my chosen activities. At least not until he made me take field hockey. How could you just let something like that slide? What if he had completely lost control one night and actually killed me?" Your volume escalates with each accusation, and your voice wavers remembering the terror of your childhood. The nights you heard him stumble through the door, drunk, looking for a fight. Days you had to go to school with bruises lining your arms and stomach. The excuses that became a knee-jerk response to the constant inquiries: how you had hurt yourself, why you were wearing long sleeves on such a warm day. The lack of trust you had for everyone around you because they saw, and they let it go on.

"Y/N, you weren't the first. When mom and dad first got married, things were good." you cringe at his title, you refused to call him that a long time ago. Now you were confused, though, not the first? "She told me he changed when money got tight. His stress led to drinking, uncovered his temper. She looked away when he turned on me, too." You look up at this revelation, you didn't remember ever seeing any signs of abuse on her, "At least it felt like she did. The first time he hit me, I was ten. I had left my homework at home and came back at the end of the school day with a note from Mrs. Handler saying I could get an extension and bring it the next day if mom and dad sign my note. I couldn't stand up straight or sit back in my seat the next day."

You find you're crying, "I remember that." You say. You were six. Young enough that you still believed your dad when he said that Angie had broken the rules and he was just disciplining her like daddies do, and you didn't know any better. All you heard from your room, where you'd been locked in, was yelling, and it scared you too much to investigate. "I had no idea." You whisper. Your sister looks different now, more broken than scared, like she actually understood and really regretted everything that happened.

"I know. You were little. We weren't. I know you were thinking we should have done something, but believe me, we tried. Every time either of us tried to step in, he threatened to kill us. Mom even tried to divorce him at one point, but she couldn't afford the lawyer, and she was too scared to go to the cops. If she had reached out to anyone and they didn't believe her, it would have gotten back to him. The night of his accident, she cried herself to sleep with relief." You were fifteen by then, having endured six years of being a human punching bag, and irrevocably planning to sever ties with your useless mother and sister as soon as your were able. "I wish you would believe me." Her voice trembled, "We tried. Maybe we could have tried harder."

It took everything in you not to sob, your heart aching like it hasn't in years. You had forgotten how you missed having a family. Your face was soaked with tears, you couldn't stop them if you tried. But there is something else you can do, "I know we aren't invited to the wedding, but I wanted to make sure you knew that we both wish you the best of luck. Better than either of us ever had. And if he is anything like his twin out there I don't think you'll need it." She offers a pitiful smile, closing the subject, getting ready to walk away again. As she stands from her place on the floor across from you, you jump up, throwing your arms around her, suddenly sobbing,

"I'm sorry! I'm sorry!" You repeat, feeling her arms close around you and her shoulders start to shake,

"I wish we could have done something. I wish I could have helped you. I just didn't know how, I was so scared." She says, her face buried in your shoulder.

"I thought I was so alone. I'm so sorry!" You stand hugging each other until you both calm down a bit.

It takes awhile.

When you pull away, you feel like something in you is new. Like some of that bitterness had been surgically removed. "Please come to the wedding on Saturday." You say before you even think about it. "I can't guarantee you'll be able to eat. But please come." She chuckles, sniffling, and nods.

The two of you look quite the sight when you come back to the living area, the girls quiet down, Nicky looks hopeful, Chloe and a few others look a bit wary,

"We were about to play cards against humanity. Care to join, you two?" Ming chimes in, you tug your sister to the couch with you throwing a red-eyed wink at Nicky across the table. This family had to be the best thing that has ever happened to you.

.

.

.

The next day, you and Iain meet up briefly before the rehearsal dinner, he looks a little confused when you show up with company, especially a woman he's never met.

"Mornin', love." He kisses your forehead, and turns his attention to your guest.

"Iain, hun, meet my sister. Angie." His hand freezes momentarily as he reaches for a handshake, but he quickly recovers, pulling Angie in for a hug.

"It's a pleasure to meet you." He says softly. How could you both possibly be crying again?

k��IH�[