Chapter 11

Y/n pov

We followed Curtis into his workshop thing while Dad talked about the meeting saying how he couldn't be in two places at once.

"Maybe you can," Curtis said. "Can I have the room please" Curtis called to the other elfs in the room. "Thank you. Go take a cocoa break"

The doors closed behind them as they left. Bernard kept his arm wrapped tightly around my shoulder

"Walk with me. I tripped the ram and reconfigured the circuitry"

"Not going to lie. I didn't understand most of that" I whispered. Bernard chuckled next to me making me laugh at him as he ran into the tables.

"I see you've externalized the power source to make better use of the electromagnetic energy. " Dad said ignoring the noise me and Bernard made.

"No, it's just there cos it looks cool"

"Yeah, it does," Dad said looking at the thing. Then he continued looking at it. "Wait a minute," he said. I froze.

"What?" I asked.

"You tripled the ram. I see where this is going. I'm not getting in there"

"What! No no no!" I said.

"Besides, creating a copy of Santa won't solve our problems," Bernard said next to me.

"The elves will know," I said

"But this will be a special toy," Curtis said ignoring me. Bernard rubbed my back softly.

"How's that Curtis" Dad said

"I added a fuzzy logic circuit. The duplicate will act and think just like you. When you're with your family, dealing with Charlie finding a wife..."

"The toy will be here melting in front of my fireplace," Dad said.

"No, the toy Santa will be here taking care of business"

"I can take care of business," Bernard said speaking up. "Santa, if the elves find out we've made a switch" he put his hands onto his cheeks and his jaw dropped and he gasped. "... Aaggh! No! No! This machine is not the answer." He said with wide eyes. I nodded beside him in agreement. Then a rat jumped onto the machine.

"Hey hey shoo shoo," Curtis said before the rat ran Into it. It turned on and did some light stuff before the rat came out on the other side. We all ran over to the other side to watch. The rat came out with a second plasticity one behind it. Curtis looked at us with a huge smile.

"Look, you can't get much better than that. And I promise - it won't hurt a bit." He said. Dad thought for a second before clapping his hands together.

"Alright I'm going in," he said.

My eyes widened as we followed him back to the other side.

"Oh, I can't watch," Bernard said turning around in the corner. Dad stepped on the belt and it started moving. I saw Bernard peek back over before turning around again. Dad made it into the thing before he yelped a couple of times. I moved over to the other side to see him come out with Bernard and Curtis behind me. Then he came out the other side and stood very still as if he was a toy. Curtis stared at him for a second.

"It's perfect!" He yelled.

"That's because it's me, Einstein," Dad said.

"Santa are you alright" Bernard asked next to me. We both moved to check on him.

"Yeah, there was a bit of a shock in there. Was there supposed to be a shock?" Dad asked. Then we all turned to look at the thing again as fog poured out the doors of it. My eyes widened and Bernard quickly put his hand over my eyes as we all screamed.