Chapter 16

ALPHA SAMSON

Jenson told me all of Alora's injuries. It took everything in me to keep Savage from coming out.

Rage filled us, but I kept calm. I didn't need to run again, not when Alora needed us.

"I'm sorry," Jenson said, looking at me and leading me down the corridor where Alora was staying.

The hospital was quiet, and there were hardly any nurses around. Jenson mentioned he told the doctor to limit who he had helping him look after my mate, which I was grateful for. I didn't want anyone to know my mate was here until I could understand her situation.

My eyes darted to my best friend, who suddenly stopped. Letting out a sigh, I stopped and looked at him. His eyes were full of something, but that could be anything, especially since his mate was in this mess, too.

"Why are you apologizing for"? I asked, making Savage look at him closely.

Jenson stared at me and leaned on the wall, but his eyes went to the door that must have held my mate in. "I never in a million years believed we would—" he said but sighed. His eyes moved from the door and to the ground. "No human should have gone through that."

I stared at him. This was unexpected for him. He let nothing get to him.

Saying nothing, I looked toward the door. "Is that where she is staying?" I muttered, not bothering to look back at him.

"Yes," was all he said.

Stepping away from him, I walked over to the room and glanced through the little window, where I spotted Paul sitting on a chair in the corner. His eyes met mine and moved from his chair. I stepped inside and let my eyes move to the bed.

Savage was close by and whined, but I ignored him while my heart sank as soon as I spotted her. She looked so small in the bed. My eyes skimmed over her face, but it was hard to see anything to register in the dark. She had withdrawn cheeks, but it was difficult to see anything else except for that, and a bandage wrapped around her head.

Paul and Jenson entered the room, as indicated by the movement from behind me, but my focus remained on Alora.

"Alpha," Paul whispered. "I got the carrier in the corner, but the cat wouldn't move from her."

I said nothing and let my gaze move until I spotted two little yellow eyes staring back at me. The damn little thing snuggled into the crook of her arm.

"Leave it," I whispered, not looking back at Paul but keeping my eyes on the little thing.

"Is there anything else, alpha?" he asked, which made me look at him.

"Beta Jenson will stay with his mate until she is ready to join our pack. So, I will need you to help me with something, and also Gamma Oliver," I said, making Paul nod. "Well, I need you to get the word out that we are on strict lockdown protocols with other packs until we learn what Beta Jenson's mate knows. If anyone, Alpha Karl mainly tries to get hold of us to talk, you tell them we are busy and there is nothing to discuss."

Paul stared at me but looked over to the other side, where Jenson spoke. "Alphs Samson," Jenson murmured. "Do you think he would try to contact us about her? He wasn't exactly—"

I looked at my friend and let out a low growl, making both men tense.

"Oh, he will," I muttered, looking back at Alora. Her cat stared at me. "He wants to know what we know. There is a reason he commanded his pack about her and whatever else. We need to know what Ava knows."

My eyes moved to my best friend, but more to the woman he had in his arms, bridal style. Her head rested on his shoulder, but she was asleep. Her chest raised up and down soundly, but my eyes went to Jenson, who seemed blank.