Chapter 37

ALORA

After a few hours, Ava and I sat silently as Ava put on a film for us. I leaned back and watched it until someone knocked on the door.

Ava muted the TV and moved from the chair. She went over to the door and opened it. The door opened wider, and in walked a man carrying a cage.

I moved up, knowing it had to have Nala in.

"Here," the man said, making me look at him. "Your cat. It would be best to keep her in the cage when you were not in the room. You don't want her to get eaten by a wolf who will think she is a snack."

I stared at him but said nothing. My eyes darted to the cage and moved closer to see green eyes looking back at me. The corners of my lips curled up slightly as I opened the cage.

Nala moved to the entrance of the cage and looked around. I couldn't help but take in her fur. I did many times when she was in the cell with me, but now she seemed to have grown more. Her hair seemed shorter at her shoulders but longer on the sides. I never noticed it before. She was more fluffier than what you would see with a typical cat.

I moved my hand and gently smoothed her, which made her instantly purr loudly. Moving back, I leaned against the pillow as Nala came over to me and snuggled into me. I looked up and realized Ava and the man were still watching me.

"I have never seen a cat be so gentle with another wolf," he murmured, his eyes fixated on Nala. "Do you know how many times it took me to get her in that damn cage?"

My eyes went to the cat, who seemed not even bothered to look at them, but her eyes were solely on me. "That would mean I am a wolf," I muttered, not bothering to look at him. "I only have senses, not much else."

My eyes darted to him as his eyes bore back. "I'm tired," I murmured, moving my head to the side. "Is it okay if I go back to sleep?"

The man nodded and looked at Ava. "The Beta will see you later."

Ava nodded but said nothing. We watched the man leave and close the door behind him.

"Why would you see the beta later?" I asked, keeping my eyes on Ava. There would be only one reason for that, but I was praying I was wrong.

Ava looked at me but moved slowly back to where she was sitting before the man entered the room. She sat down and let out a sigh. "The beta and I are mates. He found me the same night the alpha saved you."

I stared at her, trying to let her words sink in.

Mates were a foreign thing for me. I heard about them from outside sources, such as people walking past. Not much was said, only how they couldn't wait for their mates to take them away from the pack or how much better their lives would be when they found their mate.

Mum told me there was always someone out there for everyone. With her words, I wasn't convinced, especially about the way my father always treated her. I didn't want to find someone like that who would hurt me every chance they got, either to be with someone else while they knew they had a mate or physically harm them.

I never had a good experience seeing something that would make me want to be with someone. I never got to have any of that because of my dad. The only time I saw someone being nice to their mate was probably witnessing the gamma and his mate together. They were never rude and never showed up in PDAs in front of me or my mum, but you could tell he loved her just by his eyes on her when she wasn't looking.

"Alora, are you okay? Did you hear what I said?"

Ava's voice came across as concerned, which made me pull back from my thoughts and look at her. Her eyes were on me, but there was something there that I couldn't read. This was all new to me. She may have been a friend when I was younger, but I didn't have anyone for years when my father forced me away.

"I'm okay, just thinking."

Ava said nothing. My eyes darted around until it landed on the TV. We were watching Cinderella, the real version, which Ava told me would be good. Part of me wished I could be like her, even having some interaction with family members, even though she had a horrendous stepmother. I didn't even have that. I had a father who hurt me, took whatever he had on me, and made me his punching bag, or even worse, Madaline did.

"What are you thinking about?"

I said nothing for a moment before looking back at her. "Do you know how I learned about mates?"

Ava shook her head.

"Mum told me some things, but not all since I was too young. Dad never did. He was too busy with his life and beating me up even to give me any advice."

Ava's face hardened, but I ignored her and looked at Nala. "Madaline. That was whole. She never told me the specifics about them but told me I would never find anyone. I was a lost cause since I was never supposed to be born."

"Alora, she was a heartless bitch," Ava exclaimed, making me look back at her. "She stole your mum's mate because—"

"She stole nothing, Ava. My father tried to have another child with my mum, but it never worked."

Ava's eyes stared back as tears filled mine.

"Mum would hide me in my room when dad would show up. She knew he hated seeing me. She fell pregnant twice and once with a boy. He was over the moon, but the mum lost the baby. I had to help her deliver the baby while crying."

Tears spilled while I looked ahead. I knew there was no point in looking at her. There was no one I could talk to since it was when the gamma family was forced to stop seeing us. I had no one.

"Mum told me to go when my father came, but I knew what would happen."

"Alora," Ava whispered, her voice shaky.

I shook my head and looked at her while my tears came free. "I think I want to be alone now. I don't want to talk about this anymore."

Ava shook her head and even moved from her chair. Her arms went around me, pulling me to her. "Not a chance. I am staying. That's what friends do."

There was nothing else to be said.

All I could do was cry in Ava's arms. I had never told anyone anything that happened during my time away or when I lived with my mum. Opening up to Ava was probably going to be new, but something told me it wouldn't be the last time this would happen.