Chapter 12

A couple of weeks later, Kelby is in the huge Victorian library with Caius.

"As time progresses, your ability will evolve," Caius explains. "You can cry and eat now, but soon, you might get other functions such as sleeping and maybe fertility."

"Who would I get pregnant?" Kelby snorts. "I'm into men."

Caius hums. "Ahtenadora would love you," he says. "Her brother, Atticus was into men only, too."

"Times then and times when I was human were different," Kelby says. "I was beaten to death by police for being gay."

"Is it better now?" Caius asks.

"In some places," Kelby replies. "I still don't like the police."

Caius nods his head. "Do you wish to try working in your control now?"

"Will you be teaching me?" Kelby asks.

"Yes," Caius replies. "Are you disappointed?"

"Kind of," Kelby muses. "I was hoping for the pleasant guard who choked me upon my arrival."

"Felix," Caius says the name. "Maybe next time. I'll take you outside since it's twilight."

Kelby nods. "Can I go grab a shower first? I smell like dusty books."

"Meet me at the front doors in one hour," Caius says before he disappears.

Kelby goes to his chambers and he goes to take a shower. He eats a few candies the human brings him once a day and he meets Caius downstairs. He and Caius leave and Kelby inhales and tenses.

"Let's not do that deep inhale until we know your control is under complete control," Caius says firmly. "We'll go to the bread booth in Volterra if you do good in the crowd. We will stay among the humans for an hour."

Kelby nods acceptingly. He knows to listen to Caius because he's the one teaching him control.
******

"How did he do, brother?" Aro asks Caius as soon as he enters the throne room later.

"He's struggling but he did well," Caius says. "I got him bread because he did good in the crowd of humans."

Aro smiles at this and Athenadora enters the throne room. Caius smiles at his mate as she crosses the room and she kisses him.

"Hello, amore mio," Caius murmurs.

"I'm glad you're back," Athenadora says to her mate. "How was it?"

"It'll take some time," Caius says, "but I don't doubt Kelby's control."

Sulpicia, Aro's mate and wife, smiles at Caius. "Then he's lucky to have you teaching him, Caius," she purrs. "Continua a insegnargli e ci arriverà."

Caius hums. "I will," he says.

The Kings then are bright their dinner and they go to feed from the humans.