Chapter 21

"We're gonna be busy."

Kareem hums. "We are."

The flu outbreak has reached the center because Jordan, a gay sixteen-year-old boy, brought it in from school. Kelby, Kareem, and Kylan will be taking care of them all between themselves. Kylan even calls in a nurse named Vivian Cook. Kelby knows the name, she's a descended of one of the cops who beat Kelby to death. Her helping the LGBTQ community is a win in Kelby's book.

"I'll take ages thirteen and fourteen," Kelby says.

Kylan nods and they all say where they'll be and they go down the hallways.
********

Kelby goes to sit in the gym alone once the teenagers are all resting up after getting some medicine that Vivian brought with her from the local hospital. Kelby thinks about his past here in Seattle, like he's been doing since he got here in the middle of January. He can't believe he's still here in Seattle but he really does like this center.

He likes how Kylan and Kareem have given these kids some place to go in order to feel welcome. Kelby wishes there was a place in the fifties where he could seek asylum for being gay but there wasn't. He's grateful for this place even if he's a single gay vampire now.

After sitting in the gym for two hours, Kelby goes to check on everyone with Vivian's help and he goes to take a shower after tending to the sick teenagers.