Chapter 16

"We're starting this investigation from the very top..." 

--------------------

I walked out of the courtroom with my client. She thanked me for helping her throughout the trial and I was happy that the trial was successful. The client left with her daughter clinging onto her and I watched them. I felt my phone vibrate and took it out, seeing Prosecutor Ji's name displayed. I answer the call before starting to head towards my car. 

"Are you done with the trial?" he asked after greeting me. "Yeah, I'm on my way to the office now," I replied, unlocking my car, and locking the door behind me. 

"Okay, let me know when you get here. We have somewhere to go," he said before hanging up. 

Parking the car in the lot, I called Prosecutor Ji. He lets me know he's on the way and I wait in the car, honking when I see him enter the parking lot. He makes his way to my car, getting in. 

"We're going back to the crime scenes. You have gloves, right?" I nodded.

I started the car and we embarked on our journey to find a suspect for the murders. Our first stop was Na Kyung Shim's place. Taking the gloves, I followed Prosecutor Ji, handing him his pair of gloves. "Did call Na Kyung Shim's mom to let her know that we'll be coming?" I asked, putting on my gloves as we stepped into the house. The house was kept as is, untouched until this murder mystery was solved. Prosecutor Ji looked around, a frown on his face as he observed. "What are we here for?" I asked as I waited by his side, waiting for instruction. 

"Something, anything that'd point towards a suspect," he said and started to look through Na Kyung Shim's place. I followed him, looking for any clue as to what could've led to her tragic death. We spent an hour or two at Na Kyung Shim's house before making our way to where Lee Goon Ji was found. It was an abandoned road with no lights and signs of humans anywhere. The crime scene tapes were still there and the drawn outline of his body was still visible on the ground. 

"Wow, they just killed him and left him here?" I sighed as I stared at the ground for a few minutes. "Hmm, we still haven't found the murder weapon for both of the cases so we're on the lookout for now," he said and I followed him around, inspecting the area. "The murderer doesn't seem to be an amateur," I said as I stopped what I was doing to look at the body again. "What makes you say that?"

"I mean, we haven't found any evidence until now. We have no suspect and our only suspect is dead," I said. "Yeah, but that doesn't mean we have to back out, hm?" Prosecutor Ji tilted his head glaring at me slightly. "That's not what I meant," I murmured and looked down. "Fine, let's go. It won't be soon before he does something again or messes up," he sighed before we made our way back to my car. Prosecutor Ji offered to drive this time and I let him, too tired to think. 

I didn't realize I had fallen asleep on the way back, which was why I jumped on my seat when Prosecutor Ji gently shook my shoulders. "Fuck, who the fuck-?" I yelled, opening my eyes. "It's just me," I glanced at Prosecutor Ji to see he had an amused expression on his face. 

"Oh, fuck. I'm sorry. I fell asleep?" 

"Are you apologizing for falling asleep?" he asked with a laugh and I playfully hit his shoulder. "No, I'm sorry our little venture today didn't help our case. But don't worry, we're a good team. We'll catch the culprit in no time," I said, meaning to encourage him cause he looked so demotivated when we couldn't find anything today.

"Yeah, I know. Thank you," he said and got out of the car with his bag. I got out as well, meaning to change my seat as well as to go inside to take something I had left behind. "Eun-ha," I looked up to find Prosecutor Ji standing too close to me. "Where are your honorifics, sir?" I asked, stepping back a little. 

"They disappeared into thin air," he said with a smirk, whatever that lingered in his eyes for a moment disappeared. He turned around and walked away. Leaving me scoffing to myself as I locked the car and ran after him, catching up to him. "You're so mean, Prosecutor Ji," I said and he shrugged his shoulders with a small smile. "Whatever."

Unknown POV:

T/w: mention of violence

I have my eyes on the next target. But before that, I need to make a call. "Ko Chan Ho," I spoke his name when he picked up. 

"Y-yeah..." he stuttered a little and I smirked, loving the fear and intimidation my beloved friend had towards me. "I have my next prey but... I'm going to change up my style a bit," I spoke, a blunt in between my lips as I pulled it away, breathing out the smoke. 

"What... do you mean?"

"Idiot. This means I'm going to change my memo up a bit. Make sure to clean up well," I said before hanging up, following the girl who just walked out of the dance studio. Luckily for me, she walked into a dark empty road with no cameras or dim lights. I saw her pause on her steps and smirked. She must have realized she's been followed. She slowly started to turn but I was quick to hide myself. I saw a shortcut and walked through it, so that way I could meet her face-to-face. 

I crossed the road and entered the road she was walking in. She was speed walking while looking back not realising I was already standing in front of her until she bumped into me. She opened her mouth to scream but I was quick to punch her in the face, making her cry out. I grabbed her hair and pulled her back to a standing position. Smirking under the mask I was wearing, I pulled her fragile body to mine, pressing her back to my front as I covered her mouth with a cloth soaked with chloroform. "Sh, it's going to be okay," I whispered as she fell limp in my arms. 

I picked up her limp body and looked around before making my way to my car parked and hidden away from cameras. I tied her hands and legs and put tape over her mouth before shoving her into the back of my car. 

I drove my car for 30 minutes before I reached the building I had my eyes on. I got out and looked up at the building which was old and abandoned. Placing my headset in my ear, I walked to the back of the car and opened it to find the girl, terrified and shaking. "Awake? I see," I chuckled as I got her out of the car and shoved her, causing her to topple over. 

"Oops, I forgot that you cannot walk on your own," I said in an amused tone before I grabbed her by the waist, throwing her over my shoulder and started walking upstairs to the topmost floor. She struggled and frantically tried to move out of my grip, making me lose my patience. I groped her ass and slapped it before warning her in a low threatening voice. "Fucking stop moving if you wanna stay alive," I heard a small whine escape her lips but she obeyed. I could taste and smell the fear in the air as I carried her upstairs before letting her fall to the ground. She cried out in pain but she didn't move. Scared of what I might do.

"Well, the fun is about to start sweetheart," I said removing my mask and her eyes widened in shock and fear.

Eun-ha's POV:

I went home straight after, too tired and needing the rest. Prosecutor Ji had mentioned that the detectives on the case are meeting the victim's families tomorrow to find out if there's anyone who could've possibly had something against them. 

I lay in bed after finishing my nightcare routine, frowning at the ceiling. Wondering where and what we're missing. I hoped Prosecutor Ji was right and we could find a suspect soon. 

"Eun-ha," I blinked and turned my head to see Soon-hee standing at the door. "Prosecutor Ji is here, looking for you."

"Huh, what's he doing here at this hour?" I said, sitting up before grabbing a claw clip to put my hair into a bun. 

"I don't know but he seems drunk," Soon-hee shrugged before leaving.

I sighed and went outside to find a very drunk Prosecutor Ji sitting on our couch. 

"Why are you drunk? Don't you have work tomorrow," I asked, sitting next to him making sure to keep my distance. 

"I'm here... because," Prosecutor Ji looked at me.

"Yeah?"

"Because..."

Before I could process what was going on.

He pulled me into a kiss...