15) Ruined Chances

"Come on. Just a little closer,"Teresa repeated.

"We're doing the best we can,"Jeremy panted.

"Your best isn't good enough. Put some muscle into it,"I urged.

"You're mean when we're in danger,"He mumbled.

"For heaven's sake. Just help me out here,"I sighed, using my chains to twist myself to the edge. Reaching for Thomas's outstretched hand, he gave me a firm shove towards her. Creating a domino effect, I did the same to her. Holding our breaths in anticipation, we waited for her to hopefully reach the bar.

With a lot of upper body strength, she grabbed onto the metal and twisted her body so she wasn't staring at the world upside down. Knowing it wasn't even close to over yet, I held back my cheer of success.

"Hold on,"She said, pulling the lever and dropping us down. Now that she could, she sat on the edge and untied her bonds. With Thomas swinging his way over, she grabbed his hand and pulled him next to her.

Honestly, I'd never say it, but the more people that for over the more worried I was that someone wouldn't make it. We had come so far. Without all of us, none of us would be alive. If something went wrong it'd be over. Even if I made that inspiration speech I was realistic. I knew how shucked we would be.

Without even realizing I was holding my breath as Minho went next.

Thankfully, it all seemed fine Thomas held onto him. He ran to the other side of the rotunda to both save the time we don't have and make it easier for people in that direction. With one of those people being me, I shoved Rachel towards him first. She practically threw herself over the edge, and she did it with so much force that I swear I could feel it. Despite this, and the way she was shaking in pain, she just let out a quick groan before grabbing Thomas's hand.

"Come on. I've got you,"Minho exclaimed, holding out his hand. I swung myself backwards once, then twice, before giving myself a push. Barely making it, I managed to grab onto his arm and pull my legs up. Quicker than I had ever done anything in my life, I unwrapped the chains.

Looking back, I saw that Aris was right in the very center. Of course he was. Why wouldn't life find another way to flip us off?

Honestly, it's getting old. Just because I do that to abductors doesn't mean it gets to do the same.

"Push yourself to me,"I directed, leaning over. Now on my stomach with my arms outreached, I didn't look down at the very deadly fall beneath me. One wrong move, and I would be going splat on some concrete.

Then again there wasn't another choice.

Listening to me, I saw him take a breath. Then, making the same motion the rest of us had, he twisted himself towards me. Despite the burn in my arms from holding them out, I could barely actually feel it through the fear of this going horribly wrong. Because I want a lot of things, but killing someone and myself isn't on that list.

When his fingertips grazed mine I instinctively moved myself even further up. Firmly grabbing his hand, I shoved him towards me. Before he could lose his spot and make us start again he plopped next to me. Knowing time was running out I unwrapped his leg from one restraint while he did the other. The very second he could he stood up so fast he almost fell over the edge. I had to put my hand on his back so he wouldn't die.

"Thanks for that,"He mumbled. Giving nothing but a nod, I looked towards everyone else.

"Let's go,"Rachel said, being the first to break the silence. Turning the circle and going up some stairs, we were ready to run faster than we ever have (which is saying something since there were a few Runners, and we just escaped lightning) when we ran into the pushover minion from earlier. Except, he doesn't look like as much of a pushover when he's aiming a gun at us. Putting our hands in their air to show that we were no threat did nothing as he walked closer. This time we didn't have anything to defend ourselves, and even if we did it wouldn't do anything against a bullet.