23) I Really Like You

“Chuck, Chuck,”I hissed, frantically waving him over. Looking over his shoulder, when the coast was clear he snuck out of his hammock and towards me.

“What?”

“Follow me,”I urged, gesturing him beside me. With a sigh, he trailed after me as I headed out of the Homestead and into the Deadheads. Pushing branches out of my way, I kept them down for his little legs to get over.

“Where are we going?”He repeated.

“Somewhere you can't tell anyone about. I’m not sure if it goes somewhere yet.”

“Goes where? I know you're weird, but this is a whole new level,”He told me, his curls bouncing on his head as he kept his spot next to me.

“Thanks. Now come on. It's behind here,”I said, taking his hand so he wouldn't fall in. Slowing my pace, I went past the graveyard and to the thicker shrubs. Crushing them down, I squinted until I was able to see it. Right in time too. A few more feet and we would be goners.

“Here,”I said, stopping him and pointing at the black hole ahead of us.

“What is it?”He asked, letting go of me and sitting near it. Doing the same, we both stared at the nothingness.

“I don't know, but I’m just glad you can see it too. I thought I was going crazy.”

“So it's fine for me to know if you're ever losing it but nobody else?”He grinned.

“You’d be the first to know.”

“So what is the giant hole?”He repeated.

“I don't know. I’ve been throwing rocks at it, but I never hear them hit the bottom. It doesn't seem to have an end,”I answered. To demonstrate, I blindly picked at the ground. Finding something hard, I wrapped my hand around a stone. Tossing the cold rock, I leaned closer. Chuck did the same, quietly counting with me.

As it hit fifty, he stopped and looked at me.

“Do you think this is the way out?”He asked slowly.

“I don't know, but I think it has something to do with it.”

“I’ll finally be able to meet my parents,”He whispered to himself.

“Yeah. Just like you’ve always wanted.”

“If I make it out of here,”He added.

“Of course you will. You're one of the strongest people I know,”I promised. Giving me a look, he shook his head. “Chuck-”
“It's fine. I’m younger and not as strong. I know that.”

“You're valuable, Chuck. You're one of the bravest people I know in your own way, and that's just the truth. You're gonna escape with us. You and I will live our days, hanging out with your parents and exploring the world.”

“You really think I can do that?”He asked quietly.

“I know you can. Don't let someone say you can't do something because of things out of your control. Age, height, gender, doesn't matter. You are special, and you're just as capable as anyone.”

“When we get out, I’m gonna find a lot of things and make you something. I don't know what, but I will,”He smiled.

“You can do anything you want, Chuck. Anything you want.”

“Chuck,”I panted, sitting straight up. Breathing heavily, I looked around at the bodies of my friends. Leaning forward, I put my head in my knees as I wiped the sweat from my face.

Feeling my chest grow heavy, I put my hands on the ground as I slowly pulled myself to my feet. Holding my breath, I walked away from the others. Trying to pretend I didn't notice the weakness in my legs, I ignored the way I was practically stumbling out of our makeshift camp.