Chapter Two: Meet-Cute

Asher Adair
Almost nine years ago

I ran my hand along the spines of each book I came across. Bookstores offered a sense of calm you couldn't get in the real world. It was a break from the noise that lingered outside. Even though I couldn't afford anything inside, I still liked to come here to calm my nerves. I still had shelves full of unread books. 

Much like the contents of books, bookstores were an escape away from reality.

After another failed meeting, I needed peace away from the loud world outside. So, I plucked a book off the shelf, not bothering to really check what it was, and sat on the chair in the reading area. I started flipping through the pages, smiling at the smell that wafted over me. No matter the book, it still gave the scent of peace.

I didn't read the back, but instead, flipped to the first page and started to read the first paragraph. Until I was interrupted by a very sweet voice. "You're a contemporary romance, man?"

I lifted my gaze to the source of the voice and was immediately blown away by the green-eyed beauty before me. He smiled so easily, so perfectly. His eyes matched his smile. This boy was happy in every sense of the word. I could barely rip my eyes away from him long enough to flip over the book and chuckle at the title.

"I'm not picky about the books I read, honestly." I closed the book and set it on the table beside my chair. I wanted to focus on him. He was beyond beautiful. "I picked one off the shelf and opened it. Sometimes the surprise is worth the adventure."

He sat down on the chair next to mine, dropping his backpack to the floor. I spied our university logo on one of the pins. We went to the same school. "I'm not a huge reader, only when I need a little bit of an escape."

"Do you need an escape today?"

He shrugged a shoulder, his smile still in place. "I'm Cameron Windsor."

"Do you always introduce yourself with your last name?" I chuckled. He was adorable. "I don't know if I've ever met someone who did that."

Cameron angled his head, clearly assessing me. "I try and give people a chance to recognize me or my name."

"Either you have a large ego, or you're actually pretty well known."

"What if I said both?"

Damn it. I knew nothing about him, and I already knew I wanted to know more. "Okay, I give up. Where am I supposed to know you from?"

He smiled again. "The Windsor triplets?"

I blinked. "Oh, wait, yeah. I've heard of you three, but I don't care much for the gossip. I don't care for the news in general. Why? Will it warn me to stay away from you?"

"No, probably not. You can look me up if you like, but you have to figure out which one I am in the photos for this conversation to continue."

I playfully narrowed my eyes. "Is that a challenge?"

He waved his hand toward me. "Google us. The Windsor Triplets, in case you missed that."