Chapter 5

The Champions

Athena sat at her desk next to Fred

Athena sat at her desk next to Fred.  The class was shared with the other three houses. It was their first class with Mad-eye Moody today. The class was loud but got silent as soon as Moody walked in. "Alastor Moody. Ex-Auror. Ex Ministry malcontent. And your new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. I am here because Dumbledore asked me. End of the story, goodbye the end. Any questions?" Moody said as he introduced himself. No response came all he heard was silence. "When it comes to the Dark Arts, I believe in a practical approach. But first which of you can tell me how many unforgivable curses there are?" Moody asked and Athena's hand raised immediately.

"Three sir," Athena said as Moody turned to the chalkboard. "And they are so named?" Moody asked. "Because they're unforgivable and the use of any one of them will..." "will earn you a one-way ticket to Azkaban. Correct." Moody said finishing Athena's question. "Now, the Ministry says you're too young to see what these curses do. I say different. You need to know what you're up against! You need to be prepared!" Moody said as he slammed his hands on Fred and Athena's desk. "So which curse shall we see first?" Moody asked.

"Weasley!" Moody exclaimed. "Yes!" Fred replied. "Stand! Give us a curse." Moody instructed as Fred stood up slowly. "Well, my dad did tell me about one. The Imperius Curse." Fred told him. "Oh yeah, your father would know all about that. Gave the Ministry quite a bit of grief a few years ago. Perhaps this will show you why." Moody said as he walked to the desk at the front of the table opening a jar and pulling out a spider and his wand. "Engorgio, Imperio," Moody said and the spider enlarged and was at Moody's command. The spider landed on Montauge's head and then on Roger's. "What should I have her do next? Jump out the window? Drown herself? Scores of witches and Wizards have claimed that they only did You-Know-Who's bidding under the influence of the Imperius Curse. But here's the rub how do you sort out the liars? Another, another." Moody asked as he brought the spider back to him.

The whole class now had their hands up. "Ms. Chang," Moody called on Ravenclaw's seeker. "The Cruciatus curse sir," Cho said. "Correct! Correct!" Moody said as he pointed his wand at her. "Come! Come!" Moody instructed her to go up to him. Cho stood up from her desk and went towards Moody. "Particularly nasty. The torture curse. Crucio!" Moody said as he pointed his wand at the spider and it started squealing. As the spider kept squealing Athena noticed the uncomfortable look on Cho's face. "Stop it! Can't you see it's bothering her?" Athena exclaimed and Moody looked up at Cho and stopped inflicting pain on the insect. "You can sit down Ms.Chang," Moody told her. As Cho returned to her seat she sent a thank you to Athena. "Um, Ms. Lupin-Black perhaps you can give us the last unforgivable curse," Moody said as he came up to her desk with the spider. Athena shook her head, tears starting to fill her eyes. "No? Avada Kedavra!" Moody asked before using the spell. A tear escaped her eye as the spider now lay lifeless. "The killing curse. Only one person is known to have survived and there seemed to be someone else who witnessed it. Isn't that right Ms.Lupin-Black?" Moody said and Athena glared at the man.