Last Game

Madi's POV

"Are you almost done?" Lexi whines as I braid her hair.

"Oh my God, relax, just a couple more minutes." We're on our way to the biggest and last game of the season. We're playing against our school rivals. We've managed to stay undefeated this year, and we can't ruin it today.

"I should've just asked Tabs to do my hair. She's much faster at it." Our friend Tabitha looks over at us at the mention of her name.

"Yeah, but I can only do regular braids." Lexi hushes her before shaking her head.

"Quit moving." I hold her head still and finally finish the hairstyle. It's two French braids on either side feeding into a low, long bubble braid at the back of her head. "Okay, done. See? It didn't take that long."

She rolls her eyes before turning to face me, "turn around, my turn." I do as she says, and look out the window.

"What did you want again?" She asks while brushing my hair out.

"Two bubble French braids."

"Okay, easy enough." Tugging on my hair as she splits it, I put in an airpod and give her the other one.

"What are we listening to?" I ask her while opening Spotify.

"Laufey?"

"Yessss." I open Bewitched and press play, Dreamer comes on, and Lexi immediately starts humming along. I open Snapchat and reply to some snaps, then move on to checking out some stories. I take a picture of Lexi doing my hair, both of us sticking out our tongues and smiling. I click on the screen to start typing 'Redwood vs. Kennedy' and 'Let's go Rams' before posting to my story.

I continue to look at some other stories, a few from some hockey guys talking about their own game. I suddenly get a notification saying, 'Blake Johnson added you on Snapchat'. My eyebrows scrunch together in confusion.

I show my phone to Lexi, "Do you know who this is?"

She laughs at me, obviously thinking I'm joking. When she realizes I really have no clue, she finally answers, "You really don't know?"

"Obviously not."

"That's Blake Johnson."

"Well, no shit, I can read, contrary to popular belief."

"He's on the hockey team," she hints, but I still don't know.

"Oh, come on, he's got at least three different scholarships to play hockey in college."

"I still have no clue...." I respond, hoping she realizes that I really don't know whoever that is. She reaches down and hits the accept button, "what the hell?"

"You'll thank me later," is all she says before turning back to my hair. I immediately get a snap from the reputable Blake. Curiosity gets the best of me, so I open it. I'm greeted with a picture of a quarter of his face.

Rolling my eyes and letting out a scoff, I show my phone to Lexi, "what is with guys and sending a half face snap?"

She laughs, and I take a picture of the two of us and send it back before turning off my phone.

~~~~~

"HELL YEAH!" Lexi gives me a double high-five as the ball falls on the other side of the net. The other four girls on the court wrap us in a hug. High-fives are passed all around while we celebrate our win. Lexi had a perfect set. It was sent right over to me - an outside hitter - and I managed to get a perfect hit in. It went right through the blockers and into a blind spot in the back corner of the court.