Chapter 26

Chapter: 26 November 26th, 2023

Exhaustion was the only thing Charles could feel as he pushed down the throttle of his car. He couldn't think about anything outside of driving the car. He heard the voices through his radio, giving him the gap times and updates about the race happening around him. The only gap he cared about was the gap to Max's Red Bull.

"That's 2.1 to Max, 2.1 to Max. Should be within striking distance in a few laps," the static voice spoke into his ear.

Charles was fighting for his life out there, trying to get every single millionth of a second out of the car that was fighting against the two ( let's be real... one) time World Champion. He knew as well as the entire team did that it would take him until the very last lap of the race to get within the limits for an overtake, and then he would have to complete the overtake. Charles started to sweat, realizing that he may have to accept second place again. His mind ran through everything he had been through this season. The time with his family and friends he sacrificed, the hours he poured into meetings and sim time, the copious amounts of stress and pressure that had undoubtedly taken years off his life. This wasn't the time to back down now. All those sacrifices had to be worth something. Just as Charles was about to put everything he had into the car, he heard the static voice through the radio.

"VERSTAPPEN HAD A BAD TURN, GAP ONLY .5 NOW!"

Charles' heart beat faster, a result of the adrenaline that was now coursing through his veins. He could see Max right in front of him, not even concerned about George Russell who was a few seconds behind. All he could do was look forward. After all, if you don't go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver.

There were 10 laps to go with Charles closing in quickly. He was reminded of what happened the last time they fought each other this hard. His fateful DNF that day. He knew he had to be careful and that every single steward would be watching them fight; clean moves only. He wouldn't let Max win on a technicality. In fact, he wouldn't let Max win at all. Charles found himself staring at the back of the Red Bull car, gearing himself up to attempt an overtake. He started on the inside, but did not have enough space. Charles tried to make a move around the outside, but Max held him off. He and Max had known each other for a long time, and Charles knew he was both an excellent defender and overtaker. He decided on one last effort, as there were only 4 laps remaining. He pushed it down the inside, knowing that Max would either have to force him wide or have an "inchident." Charles could feel the heat from the other car as he skidded over the curb, careful to avoid track limits. He focused only on getting through this interaction alive, hoping that Max wouldn't do anything crazy. Charles held his breath as he accelerated once again, hoping and praying it was enough to complete the overtake.

"YOU ARE NOW P1 MATE, P1. DRIVE IT HOME, TWO LAPS TO GO"

Charles couldn't even respond to the cheers through his headset because he still had two laps to go with one of the best racers he knew on his tail. He fought for P1, feeling the sweat pooling in his suit. He defended his ass off, knowing exactly what he was fighting for; his life's dream. The last two laps seemed to go on forever and Charles felt his energy getting dangerously low as Max tried to pull a couple fast moves on him. Max was good, but Charles was better.

Charles gunned it down the last straight, waiting to see the fireworks light up the night sky. He immediately started crying, hearing the screams from his radio. This was it, the moment he had spent his entire life dreaming of. With his first place finish, he had just secured first place in the Driver's Championship by one point. Every emotion started rushing to him all at once. He whipped his car around doing donuts, cackling with laughter. He wasn't sure if he had ever been this happy in his life. Eventually, his tears dried up as he pulled his car behind the first place spot. He hopped on top of the car, looking around to see the thousands upon thousands of people screaming his name. He was a world champion, and almost everyone on the paddock knew how much this meant to him. Reporters and cameras rushed from all angles, desperate for a word from the brand-new champ. Even Max congratulated him on the win, after lamenting about the fight he had put up against him.