Chapter 2

8640 minutes, 144 hours, 45 sighs, and 20 episodes watched. That's six long, boring, and lonely days I've spent here-nearly a week. I wish I could say it got better or that I had grown accustomed to my new life, but that would be a lie. I only saw Dante once a day at dinner, and during that time, not a word was spoken by either of us, per his request.

This was not the life I envisioned.

Sure, it was a beautiful house, and I now had unlimited money to spend on whatever I wanted, but I was also very lonely and bored. You can only swim, watch TV, and read so many times in a day. I lacked companionship, or at the very least, some conversation. There were moments when I wondered if I still had my voice, as it had been so long since I heard myself talk. I thought it wouldn't bother me, but I hated that he didn't care.

"How was your day?" I looked around, half-expecting someone else behind me that Dante might be referring to, as I turned back to see him waiting for a response. I answered, "It was fine, thank you." I wasn't sure if I was allowed to ask about his day, so instead of trying to keep the conversation going, I left it there.

"Are you finding everything okay?"

"Oh yes, everything is lovely, thank you," I politely answered, still surprised that he actually asked me something.

"I have some partners coming over tomorrow night. I would like it if you dressed up, as this would be a black-tie type of dinner."

"Alright," I answered, sounding unsure. I was still perplexed as to what was happening, as this was the first proper conversation we had since we met. But considering the alternative, I'd much rather have few-worded conversations than nothing at all.

From early the next morning, it was like a percussion symphony of chores, complete with the rhythmic beats of sweeping, the percussive clatter of dishes, and the occasional crescendo of a vacuum cleaner's hum. It was as if the house was composing its own cleaning anthem, and I had a front-row seat to the performance. I could tell that whoever was busy downstairs was getting ready for tonight's dinner with Dante's mysterious business partners. I didn't even know what line of business he was in.

Going downstairs, everything seemed to work like clockwork, as if these people had been doing this for ages. The hedges were being trimmed, the chandeliers polished, the curtains steamed, and new dishes were being unpacked.

I almost felt like I was in the way.

I decided to allow these people their space to do their job, so I hid in the library for the rest of the day, until a knock sounded from the library door.

"Come in?" I asked, almost uncertain why someone would knock before I watched an elderly lady enter the room. "Can I help you?"

"Oh no, dear, I am the one here to help you. I'm here to get you ready for the dinner. Mr. Huxley assigned me to you." I watched the elderly lady for a minute while I took in the new information.

At first, I was offended that Dante didn't think I was capable enough to get myself ready for a dinner with his partners, but then I realized this was probably yet another thing I had to get used to now.

I sat in the chair for what felt like forever while she did my hair and makeup, until eventually, she left, leaving me alone to see the time standing still at 6:52 pm. I scrambled back to my room, finding a dress with shoes and jewelry laid out on the bed with a note reading, 'Wear this. - D.'

Very short and sharp.

I didn't have time to argue or take offense, so I did as I was told before running downstairs and seeing Dante waiting at the large entry door.

"Good, you're here. With one minute to spare," he said, sounding almost cold as I resisted the urge to roll my eyes at him. "Now, smile," he instructed before opening the door.