Chapter 25

"Who is it ?" Dante inquired as my brain struggled to process the words it was reading. "Sophia?"

"It's uhm, an unknown number," I replied shortly as I thought about what to do next.

Dante's hand on my knee breaks my internal battle as I meet his gaze.

"What does it say?"

Looking back at my phone screen I reread the text.

He's keeping a big secret from you.

I look back up to meet his gaze as my voice feels trapped in my throat.

"What is it Sophia, what's wrong?" Dante inquired again, concern furrowing his brow. He reached for my phone on my lap, reading the message that had just unsettled me. In a reflexive motion, he dropped it as if it were on fire, his gaze meeting mine with a mix of shock and urgency.

"Sophia, it's not what you think," he hastily exclaimed, attempting to explain away the unsettling message that had ignited a sudden tension in the air.

"Dante, who was that message from?" I couldn't hide the tremor in my voice as I spoke, my eyes reflecting the upset that's settled in my chest. "What's happening? Tell me the truth," I demanded, the air heavy with a sense of betrayal.

Dante stammers, his eyes desperately meeting mine. "Sophia, it's not what you think. There's a misunderstanding. I need you to trust me. I'll explain everything after the premiere, I promise." His attempt to calm the storm in my eyes only intensified the unease between us.

Unable to bear the weight of uncertainty, I open the car door and step out, hailing a taxi. The city lights blur as tears well up, and without a word, I leave the premiere behind. The cool night air embraces me as the taxi pulls away, taking me home, away from the unanswered questions and the unsettling revelation that has shaken the foundation of our connection. My mind races with possibilities of what Dante might be hiding. Is there a past he hasn't shared? Another relationship? Or perhaps something more ominous, like a hidden aspect of his identity? The uncertainty gnaws at me, fueling a whirlwind of thoughts that intensified the ache of betrayal and the fear of the unknown.

Arriving home, I find Dante waiting on the doorstep. A mix of emotions floods through me-confusion, anger, and a lingering desire for answers. The air crackles with tension as he looks up, meeting my gaze with an expression that speaks of regret and a plea for understanding.

As I walked past him, Dante rose from the step, his eyes searching mine. In a voice laced with sincerity, he says, "Sophia, please let me explain. I never meant to hurt you, and there's more to the story than you know." The weight of his words hangs in the air, leaving me torn between the desire for clarity and the sting of betrayal.

My gaze hardens, a mixture of hurt and determination in my eyes. "Explain, Dante. I deserve to know the truth. What's the secret you've been keeping?" The air is charged with the need for answers, and I stand there, waiting for him to unravel the mystery that has cast a shadow over our night.

Dante, sensing my insistence, attempts to buy time with a strained smile. "Sophia, can we talk inside? It's a lot to explain, and I want you to hear the whole story." His invitation hangs in the air, a fragile bridge between us, as I weigh the uncertainty of what lies beyond the threshold.

The weight of silence settles between us, but impatience simmers within me as I await Dante's explanation. The seconds stretch into an agonizing pause, and my eyes fix on him, demanding answers that linger in the air, unspoken yet deafening. The silence becomes unbearable, and I finally snap, the tension shattering.

"Enough, Dante! I can't take this silence any longer. Tell me the truth. What are you hiding?" The frustration and hurt boil over in my words, demanding honesty and an end to the mystery that has gripped us.

I watched him take a deep breath as his eyes met mine, saying the last words I expected to hear from him.

"I knew your father. "