Chapter 10

*Dante's POV*

It wasn't that I was angry with Sophia; in fact, the gesture was thoughtful, and under different circumstances, I would have appreciated it. However, this particular dish triggered memories I had long tried to forget. If only she understood the pain and suffering associated with this one dish, this situation could have been avoided.

But how could she? I never shared this part of my past with her.

As I lowered myself from the pull-up bar, a realization hit me—someone had informed Sophia to make that dish, and that someone was Brian. Unlike her, he knew better.

I grabbed a towel, wiped the sweat from my neck, and dialed Brian's number. Without letting him get a word out, I asked, "Why did you tell Sophia to make my mother's favorite dish?"

"What are you talking about?" Brian replied, feigning ignorance.

"Brian, don't waste my time," I retorted, my frustration mounting.

"Hey, woah, I think you should go back to the pull-up bar and work some more of that anger off, buddy," he joked, fully aware of my method to cope. My patience wore thin.

"I'm giving you one last chance, and then I'm driving over there to get it out of you with my fists," I warned.

"Alright, sheesh, you really can't take a joke. I thought it would be funny. There."

"Funny? You think serving my late mother's favorite dish to me would be a joke!?" I bellowed, not caring if the neighbors heard.

"I know how close you were with your mother, Dante, and I didn't mean any harm by it," Brian attempted to explain.

I didn't let him finish. Hanging up, I returned to the pull-up bar, attempting to channel my anger. Hours passed, but instead of relief, all I felt was numbness in my arms. Deciding to swim, I walked downstairs to find Sophia by the pool, the moonlight enhancing her beauty.

"Do you mind?" I asked, and she shook her head. Diving in, I swam to the other end and back.

"I didn't mean to upset you earlier," she said as I brushed my hair back, leaning on the pool's edge.

"It's okay, you didn't know any better. I shouldn't have snapped at you," I admitted.

"No, you had every right to. I went through your personal things and I talked to your best friend behind your back."

"Well, there's also that," I attempted a light tone, earning a small smile from her.The following minutes were marked by awkward silence and the rhythmic sound of our feet in the water.

"So...are you going to get in?" I asked, trying to break the tension.

"Uhm...sure," she replied, removing her dress and getting into the pool.

She was undeniably beautiful. I tried to avert my eyes, knowing that watching her would make it harder to keep my distance. But I couldn't help myself.Moving closer to her as we faced each other, I noticed her eyes darting between mine. I bit my lower lip to restrain myself from leaning in and kissing her. Her gaze dropped to my lips, and I became acutely aware of the tension. I moved even closer, and she licked her lips, invitingly.

"I've got to go," I said abruptly, leaving the pool.

That was too close.