Chapter 4

The next morning, it was like nothing had happened. Typical Dante. I don't know why I expected different results...

"So, tomorrow morning I will be leaving for a business trip with Brain and Lincoln," Dante informed me while he poured us both a drink.

"Alright. How long will you be gone?" I asked, but he didn't even meet my gaze.

"Just a week."

"And where are you going?" I tried to take an interest in his work, but he didn't seem to like that very much as he snapped back with,

"Gosh, who are you? My mother?" rolling his eyes. I was stunned by his reaction, to say the least. It was not only rude but also very harsh. I was trying really hard to make this whole arrangement work, and he didn't even let me see the light of day.

"No. But I thought I was your wife. Excuse me," I replied, pushing my chair out and walking back upstairs feeling hurt.

Was I being a little dramatic? Probably.

Was I acting childish for walking away? A little.

But did his response hurt my feelings and make it a valid reason for me to be upset? 100%.

The next morning, I woke up to find him gone. Not a goodbye or even a note to say that he had left.

Some marriage this was...

But at least I had the whole place to myself for a week without worrying about his grumpy boots stomping around.

Instead, I thought to take advantage of this opportunity and explore places in this house that I was never allowed to before.

Of course, I was referring to his bedroom.

I turned the doorknob slowly as the door opened. Inside was a large king-size bed with the nicest oak bed frame that had little detailed carvings in it. It looked very fancy. The room was much bigger than I expected and decorated exactly like I imagined it.

Dull.

His bedding was a black quilt, he had a large black and gold painting over the headboard, a cute little tree in the corner of the room, and of course, a leather stool. It was almost predictable.

It was still a nice room, I'll give him that

It was still a nice room, I'll give him that. But it also did not look very inviting.

Well...unless you were into twilight.

Feeling defeated that his biggest rule had come down to such a bust, I decided to check out rule number 2—his office.

I walked down the hall to what I thought might be his office, only to find another bedroom. And another, and another, and every other door I tried after that. I had to admit, he was really determined to not have me bother him when he was working because I couldn't even find his office door.

Eventually, I wandered downstairs when I saw a large door beneath the stairs. This had to be it.

I walked up to the door, and as I turned the knob, it didn't budge.

Of course, it was locked.
Although, it did make me so much more curious as to what he was hiding in there...