Chapter 29

"What do you need ?" Dante asked as he tucked a stray strand of hair behind my ear.

"I don't know what to do Dante." I admitted barely audible.

"You don't have to do anything right now if you don't want to."

"I know, but my head hurts so much. Might be from all the crying but also from all of the information I'm trying to process."

"It's a lot, I know. And I'm sorry that you're going through this. But I want you to know that you're not alone Sophia, I'm here with you. Whatever you need. I'm here."

"I want to sleep, is that okay?" I asked as he nodded in understanding, preparing to leave. Yet, I pulled him back down, pleading, "Please stay." His eyes held pity, reminiscent of that first night, as he settled back down, and I rested my head on his chest."

*Dante's POV*

I felt her tears fall unto my chest like misty rain on a winter morning. My heart yearned to take all of her pain away, even just for a second. But I also knew that the only way over this, was to go through it...

I remember the day my mother died, and how much I cried that day. How I wished to hear her voice one last time or hold her just a little longer. To me, that was the worst pain I've ever felt and yet, so many years later I still can't even handle it when small things remind me of her. So I can't even imagine how much worse this must be for Sophia, not having known either of her parents. In that tender moment, as the weight of shared sorrow lingered between us, I silently vowed to be the solace she needed—an anchor in the storm of emotions, a companion on the journey to navigate the labyrinth of healing.

As she peacefully sleeps, I decide to stay by her side this time, ensuring she doesn't wake up alone. Finding a comfortable spot nearby, I settle in, silently keeping watch over her in the stillness of the night.

My phone's vibration startles me to my feet, and I slip outside her bedroom door to take the call.

"What happened? You never showed up," Lincoln inquired urgently.

"It's Sophia. Someone sent her a cryptic text accusing me of keeping a secret. I had to tell her about her father..."

"Sorry to hear that. How did she take it?" Lincoln's concern was evident.

"Exactly how you'd imagine someone learning she's an orphan with a stake in a multi-billion dollar company would react."

"So, pretty rough?" It's comforting to confide in someone who knows the truth and can be trusted.

"Hey Linc, I need a favor."

"Anything."

"I'm going to take a few days to be with Sophia and help her through this. Could you and Brain handle the company until Monday?"

"Of course. Take all the time you need," Lincoln graciously offered.

"Oh, and one more thing please,"

"Yeah?"

"Find out who that jackass was that told Sophia. "