Chapter 38

Waking up next to Dante was the single best feeling in the world.

I mean sure, if you counted Spain this wasn't the first time I woke up next to him. But this time it was different. This time, we weren't just sharing a bed based off of obligation, but because we wanted to.

But because I was his.

"Did anyone ever tell you that you look beautiful in the morning?" Dante commented, brushing a strand of hair behind my ear making me smile.

"No, but it's nice to hear." I joked, tracing circles on his arm as he flexed.

"Well, you're gorgeous." He replied coming closer and placing a lingering kiss to my lips.

"How are you not tired?" I asked through a giggle.

"I could never be too tired when it comes to you. " Dante replied making me raise my brow at him and reminding him what he had said last night after the 3rd time. "I got about 2 hours sleep so I'm all good to go. " he teased as I rolled my eyes at him.

He sure had a way with words.

"I'm sure you are, but what do you say we go have a bath together instead?" I suggested making him display the cheekiest smirk ever. "Not like that." I replied reading his mind as he followed me to the bathroom.

As we sat there, the tub filled to the brim, bubble bath falling gently against our bodies, it was nice. It felt...safe.

"Can I ask you something?" I asked breaking the silence.

"Anything." Dante replied intertwining our hands.

"How did you find out about my mother ? And the whole name change thing?"

I watched as he thought about it, trying to recall everything before answering;

"It was when I ran your background. I guess it was a way for her to start over, to leave behind the hardships she faced with your father's rejection. "

"Do you know how she did it ? And when?" I asked, mindlessly pushing the bubbles around with my hand.

"It was the day after you were born. She went through the legal process, filing paperwork and appearing before a judge. It was all legal. Sort of." He stated as I couldn't wrap my head around it.

How was that legal?

"That must have been quite a journey for her." I replied, keeping my gaze fixed on the bubbles.

"I think it was." Dante affirmed, gently directing my gaze back to his. " But I also think it was her chance to leave the past behind and embrace her new beginning. With you."

"She sounds so strong to walk away from everything and everyone she knew and to start fresh with a newborn." I thought aloud as Dante gave my hand a gentle squeeze.

"And so are you Sophia. I see your strength every day."

What he said almost brought tears to my eyes. But it also made me understand my mother less. I still didn't know why she chose to run away, why she found it necessary to change her name, or even why she never told me about it.

I knew I was never going to get the answer's I was so desperately clinging on to. No amount of background checks or P. I.'s could find out the truth. I knew the only people that could answer my burning questions, were dead.

I took a deep breath letting out a sigh as I clapped my hands together saying "And on that morbid note, let's change the subject." Taking Dante's face between my hands and turning his head to the side. "When was the last time you shaved this?" I asked, rubbing my fingers over his stubby beard.

"Why? Do you not like it?" He asked through a laugh.

"It's not that I don't like it, it's just I think you look better when it's trimmed. Like...a neat type of stubble. Not completely gone but also not a full on beard. Does that make sense?" I asked through a laugh as I lowered my hand.

"Well then, by all means maestro, prove yourself." He teased handing me the razor.

I smiled taking the razor from him as I backed up, squinting my one eye shut to try and envision my look before moving closer to him.

"Now, hold still." I instructed as he let out a laugh, placing his hands on either side of my hips holding me in place as I started trimming his beard.

I sat back putting the razor done as I smiled. "Perfect." I said sending a chef's kiss to the air as Dante smiled.

"Let me see," he said taking the  hand mirror from the counter behind him.

"Wow, I'm impressed

"Wow, I'm impressed. You did a great job Sophia." He completed as I sat back down at the other end of the bath.

"Thank you. I know." I replied cocky folding my arms across my chest as I watched Dante put the mirror back down and moving closer towards me.

"Do you want to take it for a test drive ? See if it's too sharp now ? I don't want it leaving a beard rash on your perfect face." Dante spoke lowly as my heart started going crazy.

I couldn't form any words as he took my silence as a yes, closing the gap between us as his lips once again met mine.