Chapter 17

I was dumbfounded, to be honest. I couldn't wrap my head around the multiple personality shifts that Dante went through in a single-hour span. It was like he was playing a love-hate relationship with me and I didn't know all of the rules to play along. One moment it would feel like maybe he could actually love me, but then a switch flips in his head and he's back to detesting me...

I grabbed my book from my room as I got underneath the covers of his bed to try and find solace between the pages of Jane Austen's literary genius. There was just something about Mr Darcy reminding me of Dante, that it made me feel so much empathy towards Elizabeth Bennett.

Feeling the tug on the comforters made me open my eyes and realized that I had dozed off as I slowly turned to my right seeing Dante get in beside me. At first, I wanted to jump up or wait for him to realize what he was doing, but it was only when he got in beside me that I noticed that he reeked of alcohol. My internal battle started as I placed my book on the bedside table, do I get out and respect his wishes of staying apart? Or do I just go back to sleep and pretend I didn't notice he was in the same bed? I mean, after all, he is clearly drunk and not thinking about what he was doing.

I ended up taking my chances and going back to sleep as my body stiffened underneath his touch as he wrapped his arms around my waist pulling me closer to his chest. I knew he was not in his right mind and that this wasn't anything real, so I tried my best to not let my heart run away with me. But how can I not feel a little hope?

The next morning Dante woke with a start, eyes widening in surprise as he realized he was uncomfortably close to me. Abruptly, he scrambled away, heart pounding, trying to make sense of what had happened last night.

"What are you doing ?" He asked frazzled trying to move as far away from me as possible.

"Me? You're the one that told me I could have your bed and then I wake up next to you. I should be the one asking you that question." I stated as I watched him pace around the room. I had to admit, it was strange seeing him this way, at a loss for words and a little...terrified.

"Did I? I mean, did we ?"

"Oh gosh no! I think I would've woken up if you had."

"Good. I have to go," he answered more to himself than directed towards me as he grabbed a t-shirt and rushed downstairs. I would pay any amount of money to know what was going on inside his head right now.