Chapter 28

"You have to eat something, Sophia." Dante tried to persuade me for the 100th time today.

I wasn't much in the mood for doing anything, let alone eat. Dante referred to it as my 'hunger strike' trying to lift my spirits, but it was no use. For the last 2 days, all I could think about was my parents. How I was never going to meet my father, never hearing what his voice sounded like or ask him all the questions I've accumulated over the years. I found it difficult to grasp the reality of being without any family.

No mother, no father, and now, no idea who I really was.

Questions itched my brain like; why did my mother change her name? And if this was even my real name, or did she change it too? I felt exhausted. Depleted. Completely and utterly worn out.

"Here. I should've given it to you 2 days ago." Dante said, placing a blue envelope on my breakfast tray. "But please Sophia, you have to eat something." He insisted one last time before leaving me alone.

I stared at the blue envelope with my name written in black ink. I knew exactly what it was. It was as predictable as every other movie plot.

This was from my father.

With trembling hands, I carefully extract the slender sheet from the envelope, my breath caught in anticipation of the words left behind by my departed father.

Hi baby girl,

I'm sorry that you had to meet me like this, through ink and paper. But I hope are happy with the answers you received and so desperately been wanting all your life.

I want to start by saying how sorry I am for not being present in your life. I can make up a million excuses to try and explain my absence in your life, but I'm dead now, so what difference would that make?

I want you to know that I loved your mother very much. She was an absolute angel. But I also knew that she deserved better than I could give her at the time. I was deep in college debt with only $1000 to my name when she told me she was pregnant with you. I knew I could never take care of the two of you the way you deserved. I promised your mother the night that you were born, that I would come back to you and marry her as soon as I had more to my name. She understood but she was also very hurt by my rejection.

I tried to contact her or find out how you were doing, every day for the 1st year of your life, to no success. I had ultimately accepted the fact that Claire Langston had become a ghost and didn't want to be found, leaving me in a state of remorse. I really loved you baby girl, and I need you to know that I never stopped looking for you.

I wished that we could've met and that I could see those beautiful green eyes again. I've always imagined what you would look like, but I'm certain that you are far more beautiful than I could ever imagine.

I know that nothing could make up for me missing out on all of those years of your life, but I wanted to leave you something. Something that was close to my heart. My part in the company. I'm sure Dante can explain everything to you in a much more timely manner than pen and paper could, but I wanted you to have it along with all of the money in my trust. I know it doesn't change anything, but you deserve to live the life that I intended to give you and your mom but never got the opportunity to.

Oh, and baby girl? Be patient with Dante. He's a lot like his father, but he has the purest heart I've ever seen in a Huxley man.

I love you.

Always and forever,

Your Dad. (Edward Adams)

I wiped the tears that had fallen onto my cheek as I pulled out some old photos that were in the envelope. A single photo of my father of what I assume was right before his passing, a photo of him and my mother at graduation and a photo of me, the day I was born.

I couldn't help but feel overwhelmed by sadness as I started crying uncontrollably, my cries sending Dante rushing back into my room as he pulled me into another tight hug as I cried against his chest.

I was a mess.

Everything was such a mess.

I had no idea where to begin to unpack everything or what to do next. It was all too much for me to handle. I wanted to simultaneously run away and ask further questions.

I was a shell of the person I once were.