twenty-eight

I can't stop my heart from banging against my chest, threatening to burst out of the skin surrounding it

I can't stop my heart from banging against my chest, threatening to burst out of the skin surrounding it. Despite the calm facade I'm sporting, the idea of walking into the foyer of the hotel is daunting. This is not an ideal way to spend my Friday evening.

My head turns to the left, watching as Mom's black car drives past, exiting the parking lot. She decided to miss out on the engagement party, and I don't blame her. I wouldn't want to attend my ex-husband's engagement party either. Instead, she left my sisters and I outside the hotel, telling us to call her if we need her before throwing us into the unknown.

I look down to my right, observing my sisters. Rosa is right beside me, anxiously chewing on the inside of her cheek. Evie is on the other side of her, her eyes fixated on the wide double doors ahead of us. They're distant, as if she's not in the present. I can recognise that look hidden behind the hues of green; it mirrors my own eyes when my mind gets lost in the past.

Their worry is almost palpable, reflecting the own sick feeling in my gut. I can't show my emotions right now. I need to be as strong as I can for them.

Rosa's shoulder is cold as I lay a hand on it, rubbing it with my thumb in an attempt to soothe her. "You okay?" I ask, making her nod slightly as she stares up at me. I tilt my head, getting a better look at Evie. "Evie?"

Her head snaps to my direction, her eyes snapping out of the memory she was stuck in. "Yeah, I'm good." The words leave her mouth so low I'm almost unable to make them out. They're both lying. It's obvious, but I can't pressure them into telling me the truth. We've never really been able to express how we truly feel; it runs in the family.

I smooth out the silk material of my long, dark green dress with my palms, adjusting the straps on my shoulders so they don't slip down again. It's not an extravagant dress. The only thing that makes it stand out is the low back. The silver jewels adorning my body help to make this outfit worthy of being worn to such a fancy outing, as do the black heels on my feet.

Levi helped me pick out the dress after we worked on our project on Sunday. Ever since I apologised to him, we've seem to grown even closer than we were before. There's something about our friendship now that's... different. The indescribable look in his eyes whenever he's staring at me is more permanent. He doesn't gaze at anyone else like that, just me. His voice softens when he speaks to me, his shoulders dropping in relaxation once I'm near him. Levi seems to have relaxed around me just as much as I have.

It isn't just an emotional feeling. It's become a bit more physical. Our hands brush against each other's more often, our shoulders almost always touching when we stand side by side. The feeling makes the hairs on my skin stand up, sending waves of electricity through my being. Every time he touches me, fireworks erupt in my stomach. I have no idea what it is I feel around him, but what I do know is that he's become my favourite person to be around.

Our reconciliation also dragged me back into his friend group. I was nervous at first after everything I did, but eventually, Nevaeh accepted me with open arms. It prompted Theo and Alejandro to do the same, but Alejandro still seems on edge around me in our chemistry class and at work.