CHAPTER 09

CHAPTER 09: BEARING THE WEIGHT OF UNSPOKEN BURDENS.

third person's POV.

...

"Okay, Tobias,"

Eve nodded and slowly turned away from Tobias. When Tobias saw Cayden, he felt guilty. Cayden looked disappointed too. Tobias muttered an apology before leaving the room, leaving behind a heavy feeling of the consequences of his actions.

Tobias couldn't bear the guilt...

Lilith was quietly watching them, just observing without saying anything while sipping from her soup.

After Lilith finished eating, she stood up and went to the kitchen to wash her bowl. Dolunay followed her. She grabbed Lilith's arm, pulling her aside while washing.

Dolunay asked, "Anong ginagawa mo dito? Why did you just show up now?" Lilith looked confused.

Dolunay continued, "I don't want you here."

"I had nowhere else to go." Lilith replied.

Dolunay, frustration evident on her face, exclaimed, "Of course, when the world is falling apart, that's when you decided to show up! Pero no'ng kailangan kita, nasa'n ka?"

Lilith remained silent, but Dolunay's frustration grew.

"Nag-improve lang ang buhay mo bigla, tapos biglang hindi ka na nagparamdam."

Lilith still hesitated, not wanting to answer because, in her mind, Dolunay had zero idea about what happened to her. Dolunay, unaware of the story, persisted, "Buti nga lang nasunog bahay n'yo."

Lilith was shocked by Dolunay's words, knowing that Dolunay's father was the detective who handled Lilith's house burning case.

"Your father..."

Dolunay's eyes widened as Lilith's words sank in her. A sudden realization struck her.

"Your father tried to find me answers when my family was killed. He cared. But you? You only care about two things - about how my presence affects your life and making sure that I live miserably. You never bothered to see beyond that."

Dolunay struggled to respond.

"Did you ever think about your father since the apocalypse broke out? Do you know where he is? Do you even know what happened to him? No, you don't." Lilith continued. "You're too busy with yourself, Luna. You're selfish. You don't even think about your own father, let alone anyone else."

Dolunay, taken aback, stammered, "Where... Where is he? What happened to him?" Tears welled up in her eyes, and her words trembled.

"Whatever you think the answer is, Luna. Just as long as it's not related to him being alive."

Dolunay's eyes widened when Lilith showed her Mr. Dves' cracked phone and his lockscreen photo was Dolunay's pic with her dad when she was still a child. Dolunay suddenly was overwhelmed by shock, anger, and sadness. The desire to unalive Lilith consumed her, and in that moment, she took a knife.

Dolunay, furious, said "You heartless bitch... I'll—"

However, before things escalated, Cadmus appeared. He quickly stopped Dolunay, making sure she didn't do something impulsive.

"Dolunay! What are you doing!" he said while struggling to take the knife from Dolunay.

"Maybe if only you have thought about him sooner..." Lilith teased with a grin. "This is the danger of vain conceit"