Chapter 8: Sleuth Searching the Sewers for Secrets

The next day, Tristan takes Chase and Marshall back to the police station to see the progress on the drone. They reach inside and meet Harris and Rodriguez.

Lt. Rodriguez: Captain Tristan (salute), sir!

Tristan: Adrianna (chuckles), this is not the marines.

Lt. Rodriguez: Sorry, Tristan. Legacy on my father's side, you know.

Sgt. Harris: Captain! Captain! (Comes running toward them) I bought this drone, had Keith make it stealthy, and it's all primed and ready to go.

Tristan: Fantastic, Danny. Chase, do you know how to use a drone? 

Chase: (scoffs) Do dogs have tails? 

(PAUSE) This is a reference to a line said by Crash the two-legged muscular version of Chase in Multiversal Massacre. Just a fun fact. Anyway, back to the story.

Lt. Rodriguez: Good! Because I'm not used to video games. Let alone controllers. The closest I've gotten is a TV remote.

Sgt. Harris: I have no experience in drones. 

Later, they are in Tristan's office and the controller has a small screen attached to the top of it. The drone was already in the sewers. Chase starts it up and it starts hovering its way through the tunnels. He's controlling the drone easier than a walk in a dog park. He's a natural! 

Marshall: I think I know why we sent a drone down there. I have a feeling Adventure City's sewers stink more than Adventure Bay's.

Sgt. Harris: First of all, you're right about the smell. (Plugs his nose) Phew! (Unplugs his nose) But we sent the drone down there because we don't want to get caught ourselves.

Lt. Rodriguez: He's right. We can't risk getting kidnapped ourselves on the job. Then Slate and his goons would be onto us.

Chase: Guys! I found something!

Tristan: Talk to me, son.

The camera shows a pile of dog leashes. Retractable, rope-like, standard, all kinds of leashes and harnesses. It is in between two tunnels in a t-junction. It's perfectly in the middle. It's good evidence but it doesn't give them much of a hint on where Slate is.

Sgt. Harris: Well I'll be darned. This drone idea's working.

Tristan: We need to search the sewers more often. (Looks to Chase) I'm proud of you, Chase. (Rubs Chase's head in the form of a father ruffling their son's hair) We're getting closer than we have in years. This is LITERALLY our first lead since we started working on this case.

Chase: Thanks, Dad.

Marshall: Wait. Turn up the volume. I hear voices.

Rodriguez turns the dial on the side of the controller, making the sounds louder. It's people! Two people to be exact! The camera sees two shadows. They hear a familiar female voice

Female Voice: I heard something. By the leashes.

Marshall: They're coming from the left tunnel!

Chase: Then I'll hide in the right!

Chase puts his drone expertise to work and the drone swiftly zooms into the tunnel on the right. It is unseen by the two figures. What Chase, Marshall, Tristan, Harris and Rodriguez saw has given them more than a lead on this case. 

Lt. Rodriguez: Holy crap.

Sgt. Harris: Oh, my land.

Tristan: Good gosh!