Chapter 12: Rescue Turned Into Trap

Play the song above to listen to while you read until it ends, or unless I tell you to pause it.

And the song Back in Black by AC / DC plays in the background as the car arrives at night in Adventure City. Marshall dons his firefighter hat. Then his water cannons are functioning great. Rubble put on his hard hat and tested out his shovel. Dolly checks her breath since she's in the presence of her crush. Ryder put on sleeveless gloves and a wrist-gadget that has a grappling hook. He used it when he was in Humdinger Heights. Rocky tested his tools and put on his cap. Zuma put on his helmet, and Liberty did too. They fist bumped. Skye tightened her aviator goggles to her head and Patchy used his paw on his head like a comb. Everest tests out her grappling hook from her PupPack. And the Junior Patrollers did push ups. They are already at 45. And Fluffy popped his neck like Tot did in chapter 2. Tristan tightens his grip on the steering wheel. And the song fades into silence. (Stop playing the video).

Tristan: Okay. Does anybody want to go ever the plan real quick? 'Cause we're closing in on Slate's lair. Well, above it actually. 

Nano: Simple. Go to Adventure City.

Mini: Check.

Tot: Find the bald dude's lair.

Nano: Check.

Mini: Go find Chase.

Marshall: Working on that.

Everybody chuckles.

Tristan: (chuckles as well) Well, I guess you got the gist of it.

Ryder: Alright, pups. We don't know what we're running into so we'll have to improvise.

Junior Patrollers: Ooh! Ooh! Ooh!

Liberty: Yes? 

Mini: Is the sewer gonna be gross?

Zuma: Little dudette, I've done rescues with these guys in the sewers before. I doubt that it will stink in there.

Then they arrive at the manhole cover where they sent the drone. Each of them come out and open the manhole. Tristan, Dolly, Oatchy and Fluffy go in. Then Rocky Then Marshall, holding Everest's hand. Skye does a backflip into the manhole. Liberty does a cannonball. Zuma with the Junior Patrollers in his back jumps in after Liberty. Then Ryder goes in, closing the manhole with the cover. Inside, each of them groan because of the smell.

Tot: (covering his nose) You were saying. Zuma?

Zuma: (nose covered, with nasally voice) Okay. It doesn't stink. It REEKS!

Rocky: It's like a supervillain invented a stink bomb that exploded in here in the 1800s.

Marshall: How bad? Like wet dog or raw sewage? 

Rocky : (thinking) Rotten eggs wrapped in wet dog, stuffed with moldy cheese and dipped in hot sewage. (Out loud) I'm not getting into details (shudders)

Then they walk to the T-junction with the leashes.

Tristan: This is it. The T-Junction with leashes.

Skye: We're getting closer.

Then they take the directions they saw in the video on the way here. Then Marshall freezes at the sight of the decorated entrance, which still says "The Source of the Screams".

Everest: Wh - - Wh - - What does it mean by that?!

Fluffy: We always heard screams at night. Dad and Marshall said this is where they came from.