Chapter 21

After sending the invitation to Cecilia and not receiving a response from her, Yra decided to stop sending messages and instead talk to her in person tomorrow.

She lied down her bed and contemplated whether to call or not to call Asher. She wanted to know what her father told him.

Hindi niya magawang tanungin ang papa niya tungkol doon at baka manganib pa ang allowance niya. Malinaw naman na na misunderstanding lang ang lahat ngunit ramdam niyang hindi pa rin maganda ang mood ng papa niya.

Pagkalipas ng ilang sandaling pagpindot-pagcancel sa number ni Asher ay tinawagan din niya ito.

Asher was reading a book on his study table when his phone lit up. It was placed within his reach, but he has no plan of picking it.

Most people in his contact list knew that he only accept calls before 9 in the evening. It was already past 9,  so he expects the caller to stop right away if they happen to see the time.

The caller, Yra, naturally knew it. She was, however, pre-occupied and didn't notice the time, so there was no chance for her to stop calling.

Asher, on the other side couldn't concentrate reading by the flashing of his phone. He always sets it in silent mode just in case something like now will happen. Who knew that the caller is as persistent as Yra.

He picked up the phone and was about to turn it off when he discovered who the caller was. Speaking of the devil...

He was stunned for a moment. Ngayon lang ulit siya nakatanggap ng tawag mula sa kanya mula noong nangyari ang 'deal' nila.

He frowned, not knowing what to do next. Sasagutin ba niya ito? Ngunit lagpas na sa oras niya. Baka mangungulit lang ito. Pero paano kung may mahalaga siyang sasabihin?

In the end, Asher decided to break the rule he set for once, just once.

Yra waited for a whole minute before her call got connected.

"Hello Asher? Si Yra 'to. Huwag mo munang papatayin, may itatanong lang ako."

Madalas ang pagtawag niya kay Asher ngunit nagpakilala pa rin siya rito sa takot na mapagkamalang scammer. Kung gaano kasi kadalas ang pagtawag niya'y siya namang kadalang ang pagsagot nito sa kanya.

Kapag sinagot naman siya'y palaging nitong tinatanong ang pangalan niya. Inisip na lang ni Yra na lagi lang itong busy sa pag-aaral kaya wala siyang oras na i-save ang kanyang number.

"Hm." A short hum means a permission for her to talk.

"Anong sinabi ni papa sa 'yo?" Asher isn't fond of small talks, so she didn't beat around the bush. Ayaw rin naman niyang pahabain ang usapan nila.

Hearing her question, Asher unconsciously closed his book and leaned on his chair.

Her father did speak to him about his relationship with Yra.

"He told me to break up with you if I will not marry you in the future." He was speaking the truth, that was the first thing her father asked him to do.

Yra tensed up. "S-so, sinabi mo sa kanya ang totoo?"

"The daughter already did, but the father didn't believe her. Do you think he will believe me, an outsider?"

Sa totoo lang, sa tingin ni Yra ay mas kapani-paniwala kapag si Asher ang nagsalita. Sigurado kasing makikinig ang lahat sa kanya. Hindi lang niya masabi  dahil ayaw na niya itong salungatin.

"Kung ganon, pinili mong makipaghiwalay sa akin? I mean, para lang mapaniwala si papa." She bit her lip. She wanted to know the answer but a part of her was afraid to learn the truth.