@AvrilRye

First, a huge hello to everyone reading!

Now, let's get down to business.

As a writer, you're often faced with uncertainties while writing. Whether it's choosing the right name, setting, or plot, there will always be a problem threatening your happiness and road to an amazing novel. Now, to me, the biggest problem is actually sticking with one idea.

When I was twelve-or thirteen, I don't really remember-I would get these sudden ideas for new novels. The first was a vampire story, the next a dystopian novel involving royalty. It wasn't until I realized that I neither of them were the ones. All these wonderful, humble beginnings lead to my main work-in-progress, Empire of Crowns.

What I'm trying to say is that in order to be successful - in your own way - you have to stick with one story. Although, writing many stories at once is possible-and definitely fun!-you still feel disconnected and distant because you're not giving all of your characters equal attention and all these details are floating about in your head.

Here is my method to sticking with one story:

1. Think about the future: Imagine all of your characters in the future. What are they doing? Are they all married, having children, successful? Don't you just want to know? Yes. Yes, you do, and so do I. That's what keeps me writing a new chapter each week and sticking with the same story. Of course this can also apply to someone writing multiple stories at once.

2. Conversations: When I first began writing Empire of Crowns, I knew it would go smoothly. Why? Because I kept myself busy speaking with my characters. I had these impromptu visits from them, showing me a minute-even an hour-of their life. I admit that talking to myself was actually really fun-and you should try it because it's a good development technique. Some of them showed me love, some sacrifice, and it fueled my writing. So, with these conversations, I keep their story theirs and have the inspiration to keep writing.

3. Goals: When I began writing my dystopian novel I felt very excited about the idea. It was the novel I'd stuck with the longest - fifteen chapters, at least. When I ditched the idea for EoC, I felt miserable, but still excited because I was doing what I wanted after teeter tottering on so many dead end ideas. Yay! Later on, I realized why I was so excited: I had set a goal. I told myself that I wouldn't ditch this idea, that I'd finish it and perhaps write another. Nowadays I'm writing the last chapter of EoC... and I can't help but feel prouder with each word I write! Next on the list: THE SEQUEL!!!

Good luck to you all and I hope that my advice will actually be useful to some of you and that your writing continues to improve and get better! Who knows, maybe I'll pick your book up at Barnes & Nobles! :)

Sincerely, @AvrilRye