@MLGarret

I used to run five miles every day, just enough to keep me physically healthy and in shape (it's amazing how quickly your metabolism slows after the age of 35, so never take your health for granted). But then in one fell swoop I started experiencing significant knee pain, I began homeschooling my special needs son, and my family was facing a possible relocation. In short, I was stressed out—mentally, physically, and emotionally exhausted. As a result, I stopped running.

There was something else I stopped doing, too: writing.

I began writing when I was five years old, shortly after I learned how to read. I remember the feeling of elation I experienced for the first time when the words on the page finally made sense. That memory is very clear to me. It didn't take long before my thoughts naturally progressed to, Maybe I can write stories, too! Forget the fact I couldn't spell anything but my name and simple words. I would sit down at my mother's typewriter every day and peck at random keys, and when the page was full, she and I would together highlight any words I had inadvertently spelled. (Check out the cover photo on my Wattpad profile for a shot of the young author in action.)

As a child, it never occurred to me that I might actually stink at writing. Writing was always one of those things, in my opinion, that anyone could do and get better at with practice, like playing the piano or doing a back handspring or baking the perfect chocolate-chip cookie. While some people possess more inherent talent than others, I never had a "can't do" attitude with regard to writing. It helped that I had a supportive and enthusiastic audience who was always willing to read what I had written and offer praise, whether deserved or not.

As I got older, however, and began comparing myself to more popular authors, my confidence started to wane. It didn't matter that I had several published novels under my belt or that literally tens of thousands of copies had been download (paid and free). It didn't matter that I had cultivated an audience of loyal readers, many of whom have since become friends. Like the runner who no longer benefits from jogging five miles every day, that's how I felt about writing. I had reached a plateau—grown bored, in fact—and realized it was time to strive for something more. For me, that "something more" now means acquiring a literary agent and publishing contract. 

That is the journey I am on, and chances are you are on a similar journey. But whether you're planning to run a 5K or training for a marathon, here are five tips to get you started:

Pace yourself. Don't attempt to write a full-length novel your first time out of the gate. Also, don't be afraid to experiment with different types of writing: poetry, articles, short stories, etc.

Have realistic expectations. When you do write your first novel, it will most likely stink. You can't go from crawling to walking without falling on your butt a few times; similarly, you can't write a flawless award-winning book on your first try. Or even your second or third.

Get feedback. Whether it's a general opinion from your peers or a writing group, or a detailed critique from an editor, at some point you will want a few pairs of fresh eyes on your work. Ideally, the person whom you ask for help will have more experience than you. You might even have to pay for an editor. You can hire an editor, for a relatively low fee, who is just starting out and looking to build his or her client list. If you're serious about taking your writing to the next level, don't skimp on this.

Expect setbacks. You will have good and bad days. There will be days when everyone seems to love your work and days when your inbox is flooded with negative reviews. Take some time off if you must, but don't ever give up.  

Don't take it personally. Negative reviews are inevitable, but take them with a grain of salt. I once received a negative review from an adult male on a free download of my book The Spirit Keeper. I wrote the book several years ago as a "clean read" for my oldest daughter who was then making the transition from middle grade to young adult books. Therefore, the book is not overtly sexual, nor does it contain anything that I, as a parent, find too offensive for a young teen. The reader gave me a negative review based on the fact the story was not his preferred genre. Sometimes, as the author, all you can do is roll your eyes and move on.

The other day I strapped on my running shoes and ran a half mile for the first time in months. I thought I was going to die. I didn't. And after having experienced the worst writer's block (yes, I do believe it exists) of my career, I opened a new document on my laptop and finally began telling stories again. One step at a time.

Melissa Luznicky Garrett began "writing" books at the tender age of five, before she was even old enough to do much more than print her name. When she wasn't watching Sesame Street or Mister Roger's Neighborhood, she could be found sitting in front of her parents' typewriter, transcribing the conversations inside her head one keystroke at a time.

Now all grown up, Melissa currently has several published novels. She lives in upstate New York with her husband, three children, and numerous animals.

You can read Melissa's complete novels and works-in-progress for free on Wattpad or visit her blog at http://www.MLGarrett.blogspot.com.