CHAPTER 11 - it almost worked

SOUSUKE
—❁—

"Up more." I look up to Kou, who in which was fighting for his life up on the chair from the single desk in our room. "Damnit Mitsuba, if I go up anymore I'll fly off the chair.." "Just a little more! You're doing great!" Kou huffs as he continues holding up a decorative string of pompoms resembling spiders.

I never had an opportunity to go completely ham on Halloween decorations like this, and with Halloween being my most favorite holiday of all time I couldn't pass it up this time.

Kou then holds a hand out as I walk over and hand him a thumbtack out of a container of them. He was in charge of hanging things up since he was a giant, and I was in charge of being the mastermind behind it. "There, does it meet your standards now? I think moving it 9 times was enough." I softly smile and glance up at him with a mischievous look, but he was quick to notice that I was just playing around as he smiled. "Next time you're getting up here so be careful." "No way! That chair is hella rickety. I'm surprised you haven't broken it already." "Damn.. I'm hurt.." He says as he steps down from the chair. "Good, now get ready to hang something else up." I walk over to the bags of decorations on my bed and dig around for the next one. We were almost to the last of them as I pulled out some colored string lights, and that's when Kou started to get all picky with me. "Lights as well? If I hang anything else up on the ceiling it'll cave and we'll be stuck with housing two more people since their floor will be missing. I really don't think you or them want that." "Will you quit whining? I'm not even going to put these on the ceiling." "Then where are you putting them?" I feel him watch me as I get up on the chair, preparing to hang the lights up on a section of the wall that went above our closet doors and small entry hallway. "What happened to what you said a few seconds ago about not getting up on that rickety chair?" "You were too busy whining like a baby so I went ahead and got up here. Now can you come here and make sure I don't fall and break my neck?" I dig around in my pocket for one of the tacs that I was keeping stored when he comes up to me and holds his hands up near my waist.

Now, he wasn't grabbing or holding anything but I could definitely tell he wanted to. He's the absolute worst at keeping crap like that hidden.

"You got it?" He mutters, watching closely from where he was as I hung the lights up. "Mhm, can you check to see if this reaches the outlet?" I hold the light plug out to him and he takes it so he can do what I ordered him to do. After a few seconds I was instantly blinded by the bright lights before shielding my face. "So do they work?" Kou mutters out to me excitedly. "I think so.." I uncover my eyes and smile as I leap down from the chair I'm on and look up at the lights. "See? It's looking spookier in here already!" "I'm surprised you didn't want to go ahead and put a Christmas tree up or something, that seems like a very you thing to do." Kou glances down at me with a smile, probably watching me admire the lights. "No, I'm not that insane.. we just have a few more things then we're finished." I follow Kou over to the bags of decor, dumping out the remnants and looking at everything. "What's this and why is it's eye missing?" I look over at what Mina is talking about before instantly smiling and grabbing it from him. "It's a little ghost that had a silly face, I figured that nobody else would've wanted him and I felt bad." "So you impulsively bought it?" I smile and nod. "I got it to set in the window so he can overlook the campus, as well as the little fake pumpkins. Other than that everything else is for the door outside." Kou picks the small pumpkins up off my bed with a soft smile on his face before walking them over to the windowsill and setting them in it. "Is that everything? Other than the costumes of course." "Yeah—" I hand him the little ghost I got before crumpling up the plastic bags. "—I think it's time to have some dinner. I'm starving and could go for a meal that isn't takeout." "Does this place even have a kitchen?" I shrug and pull my phone out. "I don't know, but I wouldn't trust it even if there was one. I told my Mom before I left for this place that I would visit her.. so how about we go to my house and have some dinner there?" Kou's eyebrows raised at my statement.