God, Help Me Please

[This story has mentions of religious trauma, rape, abuse, suicidal thoughts/actions, and homophobia/transphobia. I'll try to put a warning before each chapter. Hope yall enjoy :)]

Lance McClain was the son of a priest and member of a catholic family. He dressed as he should, acted as he should, and even went to church every Sunday and Wednesday with his family to listen to his father's sermons. He even went to a catholic high school where he was the president of the senior class. He was the captain of the football team and the baseball team. He prayed at every meal and even before he went to sleep. He prayed for his family and for his friends.

So why did God never listen to him when he begged God to make his father stop drinking, stop yelling at him, and stop touching him.

~

Keith Kogane was an orphan, living with his "brother". His real parents had abandoned him and his adoptive parents had died in a freak accident. He wasn't as religious as his adoptive parents had been. They had enrolled him in the local catholic high school in hopes of stopping his acts of defiance. Shiro, his adoptive brother, had kept him enrolled there after they died so he could finish his education in a familiar school.

He was tired of having the idea of a higher, all knowing, being pushed onto him every day. He was tired of the blue uniform shirt and black pants they were forced to wear. He was sure as hell tired of the stupid Cuban boy that everyone seemed to love.

~

It was just another day at Altea Catholic High School when Keith walked into his first class of the day. He didn't bother tucking in his shirt after his teacher had made a comment to him about it. He sat in his desk, pulling out his phone to scroll through Instagram.

"Morning Keef."

Keith looked up to see Pidge sliding into the desk next to him. He raised a brow at the girl with short hair and hazel eyes as she smiled at him.

"Hey."

"So...did you hear the news?"

"About what?" Keith sat up in his desk, suddenly interested.

"There's an art fair coming up."

Keith hummed and sank back down in his seat. As much as he enjoyed art, he doubted he would enjoy doing art for this hell hole.

"Not interested."

"But Keith! I thought you liked art!"

"Yeah, but not around these stuck up assholes."

"You've got a point. Everyone here seems to have a stick up their ass," Pidge laughed.

"Language, you two."

Keith looked up to see Lance McClain standing in front of their desk. His hair was brushed neatly and his uniform was wrinkle free as always. The gold chain he wore held a cross at the end of it.

"Oh shut up." Keith rolled his eyes, pulling his phone back out.

"Just trying to save you from another trip to the office." Lance smiled and put his hands in his pocket.

"Yeah well, I can keep myself out of trouble. But I can't say the same for you seeing as you have all those hickeys on you."

Lance stood there, surprised. He reached up to touch where his neck met his shoulder and sighed.

"Worry about yourself McClain," Keith said, setting his phone down, smirking up at the class president.

Lance turned with a huff as he went to go sit at his desk a couple seats in front of Keith and Pidge.

"Way to be a dick." Pidge mumbled.

"He started it."

~

Keith sat on the bleachers of the football field with his AirPods in his ears and his sketchbook across his lap. Pidge was a photographer for the yearbook so he had offered to stay with her while she photographed the football team during their after school practice.

"Keith!" Pidge waved to him from down on the field.

Keith took out his AirPods, putting them in the case and then put that into his school bag. He put his sketchbook and pencils in there as well. He stood up, stretching, before heading down to the railing to see what Pidge needed.

"You wanna come down here with me?" She smiled.

Keith thought about it for a moment before shrugging and jumping over the fence. He walked over to Pidge who smirked at the raven haired male.

"They're almost done. Should we go get ice cream after?"

"Uh, I should really get home. Shiro's making dinner."

"Yeah I know, he invited me and Matt."

"Oh, then sure I guess." Keith shrugged.

"Nice," Pidge replied as she packed up her camera. She grabbed her backpack and gestured for Keith to follow the way.

The pair walked to the ice cream shop that was on the way to Keith's house to grab a quick bowl of ice cream before walking to Keith's place.

"Lance sure is a good player," Pidge said as she shoved a spoonful of ice cream in her mouth.

"Never paid attention to him." Keith shrugged.

"Maybe you should come with me to the first game."

"When even is it?"

"In like a month."

"Maybe."

Keith pulled out his keys and unlocked the front door, letting Pidge inside.

"Shiro!"

"Kitchen!" His brother called back.

Keith walked into the kitchen, setting his bag on the counter and sliding into a chair that was pulled up to the island in the middle of the kitchen.

"How was school?"

"It was whatever. More stupid shit about God."

"Ah, well at least you're almost done with school."

Shiro had never been one to believe in God, even though his parents had forced him to church and other religious activities.

"Go change, Matt's almost here and dinner is almost ready," Shiro turned to face Pidge and Keith with a small smile.

"Aye aye captain!" Pidge saluted before running upstairs to go change into the clothes she had brought.

~

Dinner was awkward to say the least. Matt and Shiro were flirting as always which made Pidge make gagging noises at her brother and his boyfriend.

"One day you'll find someone Pidge." Matt smirked at his sister.

"I'm fine by myself," Pidge replied, crossing her arms.

"You ok Keith?" Shiro noticed Keith poking at his food.

"Peachy," Keith replied sarcastically.

Keith saw Pidge straighten up in her chair as she looked at something out the window that was behind Shiro and Matt.

"Is that Lance?"

Keith looked in the same direction and saw none other than Lance McClain on his knees on the sidewalk outside of his house. The rain had picked up a few minutes ago causing the male to get soaked.

Pidge ran to the door and opened it, running outside. Keith followed her.

"McClain?" Keith said as he crouched next to the Cuban.

Lance looked up at him with red eyes, blood covered his arms and was on his face.

"Hey." Lance smiled at him.