chapter 8

After Darry got home, Me, Johnny, Sodapop and Steve all went to Buck Merrill's. Two-bit was already there. The music was loud and the place was covered with blue and pink lights.

"I'm gonna go get a drink." Johnny said. I tried to protest, but I figured it's best if I don't. I looked around, seeing shirtless, hairy men all around. I scoffed and rolled my eyes. Man, this is weird, I thought. Johnny came back with two glass bottles in his hand. Beer? I asked myself. He handed one to me and smiled. "Here," He said. I smiled nervously and stared at the bottle. Really, Ponyboy? I thought to myself. I took a sip and nearly gagged. I took a few more until my throat got used to it.

How can Two-bit drink this every day? I rolled my eyes and finished the drink. "So, you just wanna drink and relax?" Johnny nearly yelled, trying to talk over the loud music. "Sure, what else would we do?" I mumbled. I stood up and walked over to the fridge, grabbing Johnny and I two more drinks. I walked halfway back over to Johnny and froze.

There was a girl sitting on his lap. Why? I asked myself. I nearly dropped the bottles. He looked at me, his eyes screaming in fear. I walked over, trying to keep my cool, sat down and placed my arm over his shoulders. "Who's this, babe?" I asked. The girl laughed and cocked an eyebrow. She looked like the girl version of Hank Williams. "Babe?" She mocked. She stood up and flipped me the finger. I did it back. "You okay?" I asked Johnny, rubbing his shoulder. "I'm fine. Just a little spooked," I nodded. I knew what he meant. He once told me he wasn't all in for Sylvia's sweet-talking. I kissed his cheek and smiled. "Wanna get away from all this?" I asked Johnny. He bit his lip and turned red. "Not- not like that," I laughed. He laughed, too. We stood up and walked over to the stairs. I examined the stains on the floor. I shrugged and we both walked upstairs.

I must've forgotten about the drinks I  had. I handed one to Johnny and he smiled. We got into an empty room, and I locked the door. "So," he started. "This is the first time you drank?" I shook my head. "No. I've tried before. But, this is the first time I didn't freak out about it." I laughed, as well as Johnny. I plopped down on the bed. "Man, what a party." I whispered. He sat down beside me. "Not exactly. I've seen better." Johnny said, as he examined his nails. "Yeah, whatever, 𝘴𝘰𝘤." He laughed. "Okay, greaser." I laughed, again. He layed next to me and smiled. I took a sip of the drink, while I started sitting up, so I didn't accidentally choke on the drink. I yawned. I looked at Johnny. Man, his eyes are nice. I bit my lip. "What?" He asked, smirking. "Nothin'. You just got nice eyes." He giggled. "You ain't so bad yourself, Pony." I rolled my eyes. "Sure."

"I'm gonna go get another drink." He said, standing up and walking out of the room. I sighed and closed my eyes. I rolled to my side and curled up into a ball. After a minute or two, I heard footsteps. I heard the door open. I opened my eyes. It was Johnny.

He was crying. I sat up. "What's wrong?" Johnny sat down on the bed, miserably. "Some girl was.. telling me off." I frowned and kissed his cheek. He flinched. After about three minutes, he spoke: "I wish you were a girl."

I froze. What does he mean? I just sat there, struck dumb, and felt tears swell in my eyes. Does he not love me? I asked myself. No, he's just drunk. He doesn't mean it. I really tried convincing myself that, but you know what they say. Drunk actions are sober thoughts. I just looked away. I didn't want to talk to him. I love Johnny, really, but those words hit me hard. Is he ashamed to love me? I bit my lip and swallowed. That's a trick I've picked up - hiding my emotions, I mean. You grow up on the streets and you learn to be tough, not soft. Soft; meaning you cry. I don't cry. At least, I try not to around others. But it's hard when you think of something that make you hurt inside. I swallowed down the lump in my throat and sighed. "Are you okay?" I asked, quietly. Johnny nodded, trying to grin. "Sure am. I love you, Pony." My stomach was twisted - not what he just said, but when he said he wishes I was a girl. What did he mean? I grinned and nodded. "I love you too, Johnny." I wasn't sure if I really did.

Johnny is the type of person that gets emotional at the wrong times. We had a perfect moment before, but I can't blame him. Maybe it is an insult to love me. I layed down and sighed, upset. "You know," Johnny started, "I wish we could go back to that church." I froze, again. Why in the heck would we do that? "Why?" I asked, as casual as possible. "Because I spent time with you, and the sunsets were beautiful. Maybe it wasn't great during those moments, but I'll always appreciate how you tagged along with me." Johnny sure did word the last bit wrong, but I knew what he meant - he was glad to have a buddy. I was glad I had to run away with him, too. If I ran away with Two-bit, he would either be a scared mess or a laughing one. Or even Steve, he would be so bitter. I mean, he is. He is so bitter. And Sodapop.. I don't know. Dally would make my nerves snap. So, of course, I was glad to be with Johnny. Because he knows what to buy, and he's smart, and he's understanding. I sighed. "I'm glad I ran away with you, too, Johnnycake. The rest of the gang just don't dig; just you and Soda." He laughed. "I guess so." layed down beside me and smiled.

I smiled back at him.Man, those words sure did hurt. I'm tired, I thought. Maybe I could just rest for a little while. I'll get it off my mind. I kissed Johnny's forehead and closed my eyes. "Goodnight, Johnny." I whispered. "Goodnight." Johnny said, quietly.