Chapter 4: Prison Break

Evelyn felt life in her body again. Newt held her close. He pulled away again. Evelyn was still exhausted, hurting and confused, but Newt was here.

"I knew ya wouldn't have rolled over and bloody died." His tone was grumpier. His eyes were steady, but darker, she wondered what his trial 3 had been.

Minho had a smirk on his face, but a hard glint in his eyes showed that he’d been through an awful time. That he wasn’t quite himself yet, just trying his hardest to act like it.

"The mighty Gladers, back together again. Good to see ya alive, shuck-face—I’ve imagined you dead in about a hundred different ways. I bet you cried every night, missing me.”

Sonny didn't show anything on his face, it was a mask of hard solid stone. Thomas had a lost look, but his eyes also held a hard glint. Sonya smiled too big and laughed too long, Evelyn knew she wasn't alright. Still staying in Newt's arms, too exhausted to move, she looked around.

"Where's...where's everyone else?" Her voice was soft and croacky.

Brenda stepped forward, and crouched in front of Evelyn.

"May I? I'm actually a trained nurse..." She asked quietly.

Evelyn shrunk into Newt. Newt for some reason looked to Thomas. Thomas nodded and Newt looked down to Evelyn.

"Yeah. Tommy here says we can trust her..." Though he seemed skeptical about it.

Evelyn held out a shaky arm and Brenda quite gently removed the IV and tape. She removed the sticky monitors and the other IV that was sucking her blood out slowly.

"Ok...where is everyone else and what's going on?"

"Wait...have you been down here the whole time?" Thomas asked, his eyes going wide.

Evelyn nodded. "I woke up chained to the wall. Two weeks awake chained...and...no idea how long like that until you found me."

"I was thrown into a white padded room for a month."

"A month?" She whispered.

So she was on her knees, arms chained open for a week. Her sadness turned to anger. Her fear to rage. If she had the energy she would get up and find Janson and kill him.

"Okay," Minho started and folded his arms "long story short...WICKED lied-"

"As per bloody usual." Sonny cut in.

"As usual. Third trial, each of us had something different. And then they said we would all have the option to get our memories back. We called bull."

"Some wanted their memories. This group here," Sonny indicated to who was in the dungeon, "didn't want it."

Minho went on."Again, Janson shucken lied. Tried to force us. We put up a fight. Shuck them. They locked us in a room. Tried to force us again this morning. With the help of Brenda, we stole those...what did you call them?"

"Launchers." Brenda answered.

"Ya, and smacked a few guards around, found out you were still alive and came to find ya. And umm we found out-"

He paused and looked at Newt for a second, shook his head and then Newt

"Someone didn't bloody tell us you were chained in the basement like wild animal." He growled, glaring at Brenda.

She sighed, like this was something they had talked about before. "Newt. I had no idea! And we're here now, alright? Have I proved I'm on your side? I got us down here with minimal issues."