Chapter 9

Chapter song - Evening In The Tavern by Pawel Blasczczak

My eyes awoke. For no apparent reason, they just did. I had not slept well, let alone at all in the Capitol, yet I could hardly sleep. I wondered why. I turned my head as I heard the branches from the tree outside the window hit. Tip. Tap. I wondered if it could resemble symbolism. Waking me up, for a well deserved reason. I decided to walk down the creaking stairs and decided to make some tea. To ease the time. I wrap a blanket that has patterns of stripes around myself to keep warm. I'm still processing all of the information, but my mind couldn't help but wonder if Ruby Jones was really still out there.
*
"Ruby!" Red screams, both of us running down the hallway.

"What's wrong?" I ask, my face fear ridden, he elopes me in a hug.

"We have to go- now."

I stop, not even bothering to gather my things, I run.

"Now!" He exclaims.

My hair brushes against the cold narrow doors as we continue to escape.

"Look-" Red says, pointing to my aunt- Madam President who is now following us at an alarming speed.

"Where are you going?" She shouts, "Leaving already?"

I push the golden doors open, hearing a bone crack in the process, I don't look down or up, I continue running. "Run!" I hear Red yell as he disappears to then be tackled by what I can assume is the council.

"Red!" I yell back, turning around in the process.

"Get her-" President Grey yells, sending the rest of the council after me.

I run faster than I ever have before, not caring enough to check behind me. I know I'm going to get caught so I try to up the stakes." Listen!" I yell.

The silence becomes louder, repeatedly beating my ears, hurting me further.

I would run, but I can't as I feel the cold hands of what could only be a monster from my nightmares surround me.

*

The tea kettle shakes.

Seven o'clock the time read as I decided to pull a blue jumper over the top of my head. I didn't have many options after getting caught, but all of them resulted in the same. It was growth. How far had I come? At least it wasn't that long that I had to stay. When I looked at the guards' faces, my mind was flooded with the words, "don't scream." I heard The President's voice get louder and louder. Each time I imagined it, it hurt way more than before. I hoped I was imagining it, I couldn't bear to face the fear again. I look ahead. I followed the directions I was told not too long ago. I look up, and think this town will burn again.

"Good morning." The Council's voice said.

"You're up early, I would've expected something different."

I sigh and look around the room, "Is this all yours?"

"It is."

My voice becomes visible, earning a couple of head turns.

"April, right?" She asks.

I nod. "Yeah," I say, skeptical of what she's going to ask next.

"What really brings you here?"

"Ruby."

She puts her hand around my shoulder, "this is what I want," I say.

"You have to be sure." She states.

"I am." She sighs. "It's very complicated, April."

"There's always a way." I say.

"Too many thoughts, too many questions," she says.

I freeze.

"There's a reason they call me the Council," she says.

"I..."

"You are the Capitol?"

"Yes, not by choice," she says, taking deep breaths.

"Greyspire follows in mysterious ways."

"I thought..."

She shakes her head, "it's not always what you think."
"I guess not."

Jordan bursts through the door, drinking a glass of tea in one serving, "What?" He questions.

"Nothing," She replies.

"Nothing really."

She reaches for the leaves surrounding her and pulls them back, breaking the green colors, which slowly turn to black.

"Shall we?" The Council asks, escorting Jordan to the meeting room.

"Sorry kid-" she says.

"You are going to have to sit this one out."

I nod, turning back around, but not without hearing one last word from Jordan.

"Arabiabelle." He repeated. He walked into the room, not looking behind him. He acts like he doesn't know what is going to happen next.