Chapter 16

Chapter song - Daffodil by Florence + The Machine

I broke into a million different pieces in my thoughts. I'm falling off of a building, rather than jumping off of a building and I remember smiling. I've always been a bit mad when I sleep. I can't even remember the last time I had thought like this. I think I choose to forget them.

Ruby was alive.

She was here the whole time, which proves my theory that the court is built of lies and misery. They knew. Everyone knew and they chose not to tell me. To increase my pain- how would I know?

I was mad at first and then I was sobbing once again. I couldn't tell if they were happy tears or not, but one thing for sure- I was going to win this battle. I had to for Ruby's sake.

Who knows what will happen? She knows and now I know and look what happened to her. They made me believe she was dead- I thought- I thought I had nothing. They made me think that- believe that therefore I will burn the court to the ground.

*

"April?" The court calls for me. I don't listen.

I can hear their footsteps getting louder as mine get quieter.

"Come on..."

"This isn't time to play games."

I stumble into a bookcase, knocking the files over in the process. I quickly jump to the ground, collecting all of the files I need.

I listen to the steps slowly disappearing, I reach out for the doorknob in hopes to lock it, but it turns the other way.

I watch as guards break into the room, every member of the court following. My hands grip onto the back of the door in order to make an attempt to escape.

I wanted to make it work this time. I had to give her some form of hope. I was the closest thing to that, I wished they would get something out of me from this- experience.

I knew they were trying to dig deeper into my case, but I also knew they wouldn't find anything. They wanted to see if there was anything they didn't know. There was nothing left of it despite my inner thoughts and questioning. I desperately don't want to continue this torture, but I knew it had to be done. I could be a no show, disappear into the night, but that wouldn't do anything for me- or Ruby. If I left now, I wouldn't have any answers and that's why I'm here in the first place.

It would be difficult. I would have to listen to every request and seeing that they are now on the search for me, I must make this quick.

I had much hatred towards the court, that was obvious, but the hatred I had now was nothing compared to before. Yet I still found myself walking down the cold hallway towards the guards.

It hurt a little more every step I took, my mind kept wandering to the same questions.

What am I here? Why did I listen to them? Why me?

They hurt me. They hurt ruby. They hurt my friends. Why should I owe anything to them? Why am I still helping them? When will I see the end?

It wasn't soon before I was rushed with a hug, "Nina," the court turned to me.

"We couldn't find you anywhere."

You didn't look very far," I cock my head, put on a fake smile and chuckle silently.

The leader looks confused, "Well- frankly- I don't see the point."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean you seem to just disappear these days, god only knows what you're up to."

"What am I up to?" I ask.

He shakes his head, "it's a mystery."

I looked at the leader, my surprised ridden face shone in the daylight, oblivious to the surroundings.

I arch my lip, "interesting...I think you know exactly what I'm doing."

"What makes you say that?"

"In the time I've been here, I'm practically mute, I haven't caused the court trouble whatsoever."

"Whatsoever," he scoffs.

"When we first found you, you were angered, I thought you could have burned the whole building down."

"And well, you haven't really changed all that much, I'd say you're still in shock."

"Ah...well nobody really changes, do they?"

He nods his head, walking away, motioning for me to follow. "It's time for your trial."

"I thought..."

"It was resolved?"

I nod.

"You thought wrong," he tightens his hold on my hand, "the world is unfair, April, especially this one."

"You might as well get the kicking and screaming over with, hmmm?"

I try to ease away from his grasp, but his claws are way too tight to make a break for it.

"Should I leave you?"

He opens the doors of the main hall, pushing me inside. I watch as the faces turn towards me, each wearing masks with different phrases on them. I close my eyes to block out the outside world. I was calm.

I walked, my converse once again hitting the cold tile, my squeaky shoes creating an echo across the building.

I walked. I hated the power they had over me. The control shown in their eyes, I moved closer. I hated how I shared apart with the court and benefited from it. What they did to me, I will never forget. They scarred me and changed my life forever. It wasn't even physically painful, it was a bond.

I stood there, waiting for a sound or anything to announce me. It never came.

"April, hello, "the intercom said.

"Please state your first and last name," the intercom cut out before saying, "thank you."

"April Wren."

"And you are nineteen years old, is that correct?"

"I'll be twenty this month."

I don't really know who I'm answering to or what I'm supposed to say, but I continue on with the closest thing I have to a plan. Fury.

"Everyone please take your seats, it is time to start the trial."

"April Wren, do you plead guilty to the charges of murder?"

"Yes," The crowd gasps, each member standing up from their seats.

"Was your violence intentional?"

"Yes, it was out of self defense," I state.

"Your honor," one of the members shouts.

"If there are no witnesses to the event, you cannot charge my client."

"Your client has pleaded guilty."

I turn my head, the Court act of defiance becoming louder and louder, filling the room with loss.

"My client is just a child, your honor, I think it would be unfair punishment to charge her with death."

"The court will vote, we'll return the hearing tomorrow at noon."

"The court is adjourned."