Chapter 20

Chapter song - Dear Fellow Traveller by Sea Wolf

A prisoner stood with his hands tied in front of him, tired, beaten, and filthy. Ruby couldn't help but turn to her father. She soon looked down, eyes narrowed as she cracked her knuckles once more.

The prisoner spoke first, struggling to keep the betrayal out of his voice, "Why have you- my-soon-to-be-father- treated me with such... inhospitality?

His eyes remain the same, cold, affixed with a deliberate smile on his face.

"You have something I desire."

"And no," the prisoner speaks up again, "nothing you want can justify this."

"You come into our land. Our homes. You needed only to ask. Why have you done this?"

The President's fingers twitched, grasping right onto her knife. "Plans change."

"So...that's it? That's what I'm here for?"

"I have given you the gift of life."

"MY FAMILY IS DEAD."

The room remains silent. Ruby turns to the rest of the death eaters, who remain with their cheeks aflame. She hadn't missed this, she thought. If it was between the decision to rot in prison and live out her days with her aunt, Madam President, it was obvious which option she would choose and it wasn't going to be here.

"DO NOT SPEAK-"

The president reaches back and with a swift motion of the hand, the prisoner is dead.

She looks around before setting her eyes on the prisoner once again, "I had no use for them anymore."

"You have fooled us all. But you have fooled me no longer."

She widened her glances and turned to her niece, Ruby, who remained slightly shaking and somewhat hiding from answering any further.

"Don't you see? She is the ending. Her actions feed you, and we are all infected, her poison now runs through our blood, destroying everything in her way."

The President laughed disdainfully and spoke. "If you agree to hand over your people, we are trying to raise an army, you know, I might be persuaded to allow you to live."

"A little while longer."

"To live? Our deals. My loyalty. Did it mean anything?"

He rephrases, "was it all for nothing?"

"I'm afraid your rights aren't as important anymore. Perhaps I haven't been clear. I needed you and now- I do not."

The prisoner clenched his jaw, and said simply. "My army will destroy yours."

The President laughed. "Your-army certainly would not destroy our new family. We will simply placate your dear army..."

She pauses for a moment, then rephrased, "Of course, you understand, that even I shouldn't allow you to live."

"And if you do in fact, survive, I will make sure to make your life a living hell."

The President continued, "No? Very well, I will allow you to live and we will see what comes of it."

The prisoner looks up, confused as his eyes wander around the room.

"Your land will be destroyed. Your people will be dead. Your family- well we know what happens there."

"I take whatever I want- whenever I want. And I am simply not going to let you get in the way of that."

"I would be happy to show you the way or let my many devoted followers show you the way."