Chapter 12

Chapter song - Ashes by The Longest Johns

I lost the hunting knife during my journey to the top of the stairs. I was too close to being found. I once again had to hold onto my morals and prayed to get out of this situation. I didn't quite know who I was praying to anymore.

It doesn't matter.

I held on to what little power I had left and turned the corner into academics. It was silent and empty- it's what I expected. Turns out it's not just me who is hiding now.

I wasn't oblivious enough to yell out a name or what not. I very well knew that making my presence clear would most likely make me noticeable and I wasn't looking to die today.

A hand on my shoulder brings me back to my senses, "it's just me." Evans says, shushing me in the process.

I sigh, "scared the living daylight out of me," I say, silently chuckling.

I whisper, "where is Red?"

He points towards the door, "don't worry, we're in good hands."

"It's funny how many people keep on telling me that."

The light fixture bubbles, blasting colors of fire down on us.

I hissed, "what was that?"

"Magic, ooh..."

Of course it's bloody magic.

"No." Evans says.

"Something else."

He leaves the room then takes a hold of my hand, tightly.

"Come on."

I am then dragged down a long hallway until we reach a stop. I am told to crouch down and listen.

It whispers.

The Council? Maybe.

The President? Maybe.

Something else? Maybe.

"You can hear that?" I ask.

I press my ear to the keyhole, "something else," I whisper back.

Evans moves back a few steps, looking up before looking back down again.

I don't get a warning when Evans's hand grabs my mouth, bringing me closer towards him.

"Look."

The Council walks up, missing us by a step, looking back at the other.

There's something about her, perhaps it's her persistence or perhaps it's simply a feeling of hospitality. But nonetheless, others tend to shy away from her, whereas President Grey tends to be near her.  

"Stop looking for the girl- we have business to attend to."

My heart sinks, I wonder if they can still see me, maybe I really am invisible. After all, I've been told I do look like a ghost.

"Business, business- that's all it is with you."

She grabs her arm, yanking her backwards.

"My work is none of your concern," she says, sternly.

She laughs then goes back to what she was doing before.

"Your work- what work?" She asks, laughing maniacally.

"We must go, I'm not really up for your bickering today, Grey."

She scoffs.

I grab onto REvans's hand tighter than before, I don't know whether it's the trauma or for my own benefit, but I don't know what I'd do without him in this investigation.