Chapter 10

Chapter song - Would That I by Hozier

The Council fell asleep on her desk after a hard day of work with only a newspaper. Newly delivered she noticed as she checked the date, it read 'Another One Gone.' She soon realized what it meant, her head started spinning and she could barely process the information.

"Already?" She said aloud, stunned by her thoughts.

Her mind thought of unanswerable questions. She stood up in a hurry and gathered her briefcase, she was in charge of the answers after all. Her family deserved an explanation, after all this does have something to do with Ruby Jones. 'Work is busy, I have to head out.' She scribbled on a notepad before she left the tower. They had already read the newspaper and realized the gravity of the situation.

"Where?" I start to ask as I see the Council running down the stairs.

"I have to go."

"I don't understand," I say, chasing after her.

"Ask your friend- he will fill you in."

"Sorry-" she yells out before she's gone, faster than the sun has risen.

Jordan was in a room with a dozen others, most I didn't recognize. But, that didn't matter. What mattered was finding out what happened.

"It's not a surprise." I hear someone say.

"It was only a matter of time." Someone said as she sighed.

There were guards and security who were watching, I assumed they were stunned and had their memory wiped. You know they say you should never assume- after that, someone must have smuggled her out.

I sigh and rub my eyes. I wanted to feel sympathy for the Council, I really did, assuming that no one else did. I felt anger too, for...well, I didn't need to list my reasons, but I did. And I also felt pain for Ruby and how much she must have been tricked. It would be difficult to overpower the Council after years of being related to the President. I crossed that off of my list. Could they have insider friends? Know more people than we know? I didn't cross off lying. Manipulative is a common skill of the Council. Well, most of them. Their identities were gone. They disappeared. Every belonging of theirs that was locked up, now...vanished.

I turned as Jordan opened the door.

"I suppose you heard?" He asks, judging based on the disappointment on my face.

I nod.

"How long?" I ask.

"-" He doesn't answer.

"How long do we have?"

"Not any more than a week, he says, staring down at the floor.

"Wha-" I began to ask.

"We'll be fine, as long as we're prepared."

"What about the Capitol?" I state.

"The Council- hopefully she won't do anything rash."

"What can she do?" I ask.

"Last night- we made an agreement, on her terms of course."

"What if she..."

"That's what I'm worried about, but it's nothing she hasn't done before."

"She will take the Capitol's voice, but it won't take away the President's power just yet."

"It will weaken her."

"It will make her afraid."

"Afraid?" I ask, questioning my very own ability.