Chapter 7

Chapter song - Safe & Sound by The Hunger Games Soundtrack

When the first leaf fell from the big Sycamore tree in the front yard, April set off on the next step of her investigation, which started at the very beginning, the case files.

The Sheriff's Station - Greyspire County Jail

April Wren
November 23, 2023

Once the sun set over the horizon, I was escorted into a private room, told to await for a guard.

Mumbling curses under my breath, my breath began to pick a higher octave as I shuddered at her instructions.

"Your clothes go in this bag," she says, pointing.

"After you're done changing into your assigned uniform, meet us in the next room."

The walls had carvings in them of Roman numerals. But of course, I didn't know them. That's what tampering with education and a dissolved demeanor will do to you. But at least, I had that little window in the corner of the room. A little sunshine at least. The only thing that let her know she's still alive. Admitting she's stuck. Trapped in a bubble. Strapped in. Buckle - Your - Seatbelt - Fantastic! To get any warmth if I could, I pulled my legs closer to my chest, like that will do any good.

I was only here to get answers, starting with the history. I had to speak with a detective which meant I had to take caution.

To think that people spent more than one minute here is truly unexplainable. Let alone, Red Fitz. Four years, I heard. I couldn't help but wonder if this was the right path to go down. I had always wanted to be a detective, ever since I breathed my first breath on this planet but they had to send me to an old ball and chain prison. Of course. Where people rot. Where they're life falls apart and they're emotions decay, until they're left with nothing. And even nothing is something, which is broken. I feel sorry for the convicted, perhaps that is my main issue when facing this case. What would Ruby Jones think? Maybe it's best not to answer that.

I noticed the policeman circled around eight times before sitting down. As the door creaked open, I didn't dare make a move. Not even a slight turn. I held my breath.

"Don't make a noise," The unknown man managed to say.

I was too frightened. As I was shivering, I made my way to take his hand. I didn't have any other choice, I knew what I had to do. Get some answers at least. We were gone before I could look back.

*

I began to make my way down the dark alley.

Knock. Knock. Tap. Tap.

I knocked on the door, but didn't hear a response until I heard a, "I'll be right down!"

I could hear the stairs start to creak. I opened the door with surprise.

"Evans?"

His face is as pink as peach, his expression changing with the color.

"April?"

"It's you," he says.

"Come on in."

"Would you like some tea?" He asks in a shivering tone.

"Sure," I say, dragging out the e.

He chuckles, "What have you been up to?" Evans asks.

"Nothing much," I smiled into the conversation, not that I meant it.

"How was it?" He asks.

I stared for a second before recalling the events before I left school, "oh, yeah, it was okay."