Chapter 25

Chapter song - Evacuating London by Harry Gregson-Williams

Years ago, it was April who asked, "who do you want to be?"

I wanted to be honest and reply, 'anyone but myself,' and that became all too real way too fast. Sometimes I wonder what would happen if my heart stopped. I swear one of these days I'm going to fall asleep and never wake up.

"That's impossible to answer," I said, shooting to my feet.

"Why?"

"Why I can't answer?"

"Can't or want?" She asked and in that moment I wasn't quite sure. I had always been sure of my thoughts. If I didn't have anything else at least I had honesty.

April gripped the back of his chair. "How about this- where do you want to be? Not today. Not tomorrow. But years from now, where do you want to be?"

Ruby paused for a moment then glanced back to the window. She wanted to be the happy little things. She wanted to be the wind. The trees. The sound quills make on paper. Raindrops on the window. She wanted to be many things. And maybe one day she would be someone worth something.

*

As the wave breaks, it loses all of its strength, closes itself, hits the beach and fades away. Like there was a hole of silence around it, at odds with the wind blowing from east to west.
Perhaps Ruby would watch the ocean disappear. She wouldn't mind it either way.

April paused, nearly out of breath as he ran down the steep hill, "You can't do that."

She turns her head, greeted by a very angry and very familiar face.

Looking at her watch, she suddenly confesses, "I must have lost track of the time."

"I'm sure you have." She whispers, through gritted teeth. April Wren always seems to find her way back to her. "But I also know you're very smart and wouldn't-"

April takes a deep breath then sits down next to hear. Ruby puts her hands up in question, "don't."

"Tell me the truth."

"The full truth."

"Now. I want to hear it, I need to hear from you."

"So much has happened in so little time, I don't want-"

"DON'T TELL ME WHAT I AM AND NOT READY FOR."

April nodded. She could have sworn, she heard her mumble an apology. "I can't, I'm sorry." She stands up almost ready to leave but not without a protest from Ruby.

"You're leaving? You're really not going to tell me the truth?"

"You're going to leave again like you did in freshman."

April doesn't need to respond but she does anyway.

"It's beyond me, Ruby, I hope that's something you can understand."

And with that, she made his way back towards the path to leave.

"I should just go with Rhye... get away from you and I should have listened to myself in the first place."

"Wait! What bribe has he offered you?"

"One far too complex to comply with."

"And that's what's stopping you?" April asked her.

Ruby turned around and hung her head, staring down as she replied with a simple, "Yes."

"This is something far too dangerous to catch you up in."