Interlude: Prayers

Two years ago...

In a large, empty cathedral in a distant land, a young girl knelt down to pray. Her beautiful voice echoed through the halls as she sang a soft tune. The stained glass window cast a beam of light upon her, highlighting her blue kimono-like dress and the tranquility she exuded.

As the sunlight hit her face, her eyes sparkled with joy as if her prayers had been answered. Suddenly, the silence was broken by the sound of approaching footsteps.

A man in bishopric clothing hurried towards the girl with an urgent message. "Saintess Aisha, I have a report coming from the Kingdom of Asura."

"What is it, Bishop Frederick?" Aisha furrowed her eyebrow curiously.

"We have received news that a giant army of Orcs of around 50,000 had been defeated by a group of five people," Frederick said.

Aisha's eyes briefly widened in surprise, but they quickly narrowed back on the bishop. "What does this have to do with us?"

"I have a person of interest," Frederick pulled out a sheet of paper with a young boy's body shape and facial features, showing it to Aisha. "The third son of the Tonelico clan, Fenris Tonelico. Our church spies have determined that he possesses immeasurable power. When comparing him to the rest of his family, they're hardly alike.

If I may speak freely, Your Holiness, we have suspicions that this child may be a demon, an extraordinarily powerful one at that."

Aisha's eyes widened out of shock upon listening to the bishop's report. She remained quiet for an uncomfortably long amount of time as she tried to process everything he had said.

"A demon... and one of noble birth? Is this child out of wedlock?"

"Most likely, Your Holiness."

"I see..." Aisha stroked her chin as she evaluated this information.

"I want you to monitor this child, make sure that he doesn't try to harm anyone," she commanded. Aisha took the paper from Frederick's hand and analyzed Fenris's features in the drawing.

"As you wish, Your Holiness." Frederick bowed respectfully before making his departure.

As Aisha examined the drawing, suddenly, a blurry image of a young boy with black hair appeared in her mind. Focusing her eye on the paper, the mental image became more clear. The young boy was smirking, while blood was splattered across his face with fires cackling in the background.

 The young boy was smirking, while blood was splattered across his face with fires cackling in the background

Aisha was shocked at the vision she saw, which seemed to foretell a terrible fate for the world. If Frederick's account was accurate, then that means this boy must be contained. But surely, her trusted underlings should be able to keep a close watch on him, right?

-----

Seven years before...

In a dark, secluded marble room, a little girl stood, wrapped in chains and blindfolded. Nearby, a group of priests dressed in white robes, adorned with various fine jewelry and metals, were present.