Chapter 7 - Who's the Better Man?

Even the disciplinary measures taken against Damian were too lenient, as he had become a worse person, resulting in further strained relationships with both of his parents. This led him to naturally gravitate towards people of shallow character.

Damian regularly hung out in Belzerg and acted like a local menace with people he called his "friends." While his above-average sword ability made him tough, his magical capabilities left something to be desired.

Damian made every effort to avoid contact with Fenris as much as possible, except when he was forced to, such as during dinner. Fenris shared this sentiment, not wanting to deal with someone who acted in such a bratty manner.

Despite knowing he was inferior to Fenris, Damian contradicted himself by believing he would somehow surpass him sooner or later, whether by the sword or with magic.

-----

In the Tonelico family, many boys (and girls) had attended Argentis, one of the oldest and most prestigious magic academies on the continent. For the Tonelico clan, it was a tradition for children to have attended there. And since the relatively recent addition of swordsmanship classes, there was no excuse for them not to go.

To limit influence, the Tonelico's decided that only two of their children - one boy and one girl - could attend Argentis at a time. This rule motivated their children to strive for excellence in order to earn the privilege of studying there.

From Fenris's perspective, the most surprising aspect was that girls were granted equal standing with men in terms of inheritance, thanks to their ability to demonstrate impressive feats using magic. In contrast, back on Earth during those times, the situation was quite the opposite.

Fenris was still grappling with Rifa's departure, but now he had his mind set on attending Argentis. After all, it was her wish for him.

On his twelfth birthday, there was no grand celebration. Birthdays were not typically celebrated every year on this planet, unlike on Earth. Instead, a big party was held for each fifth birthday, with ages 5, 10, and 15 being the most important. This tradition was significant not only in the countryside but also among the nobility. The age of fifteen was considered the turning point into adulthood, as most people would start working at that age. However, for certain occupations such as the military, one had to be at least 18 years old to join.

That evening, the Tonelico family gathered for their usual dinner, but there was an unspoken tension in the air. 

Damian had just learned of Fenris's desire to attend the prestigious Argentis academy and was furious about it. At the dinner table, he decided to push Fenris's buttons, hoping to discredit him in Marcos's eyes. 

He started by giving dirty looks towards Sara, knowing that she meant a lot to Fenris. She felt uncomfortable and silently reached out to Fenris for support. 

"Don't pay attention to him," Fenris whispered before returning to his meal. Sara followed his advice and tried to focus on her food, but she couldn't shake off the unsettling feeling caused by Damian's glares.

Damian's jaw tightened as he realized his attempts to provoke Fenris had no effect. Frustrated, he began eating faster in hopes of satisfying his growling stomach. 

Meanwhile, Fenris had yet to share his desire to attend Argentis with his father. He stood up from the table and turned towards Marcos, catching the attention of everyone else at dinner.

"Father, I have a request," Fenris spoke up.

"What is it, my son?" Marcos raised an eyebrow in curiosity.